Valerie Pitts, Lady Solti, (born 19 Aug 1937) is the widow of Sir Georg Solti. She was one of the BBC's original team of television presenters during the 1950s. She left the programme in 1960 to marry James Sargent who was stage manager of the Sadler's Wells Opera Company. She also worked at Granada Television.
She had met Solti in September 1964 when she interviewed him, fortuitously, as a last minute alternative to replace a missing news item. Solti pursued her romantically and finally persuaded her to leave her husband. They married in 1967, and had two daughters, Gabrielle and Claudia. She appeared on children's television, as a presenter of Play School and then at Granada a series for older children, ExtraOrdinary, which involved strange-but-true stories from science and the arts. She gave up her career as a presenter, though she continued to appear occasionally on television (notably on the quiz show, Face The Music) and worked with Solti for various charities.
Lady Solti is the patroness of the World Orchestra for Peace, which her husband founded and whose first concert at the United Nations he conducted. In addition, she has devoted time to other cultural organizations, including the Sadler’s Wells Theatre Trust, the Mariinsky Theatre Trust, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Musica Nel Chiostro, Battignano Italy, the Hungarian Cultural Centre (London), Liszt Academy (Budapest), and the W11 Opera children's opera company in London.
After Solti's death (5 September 1997), Lady Solti, Gabrielle Solti and Claudia Solti began the Solti Foundation to assist young musicians. In 2002, a website dedicated to Georg Solti was launched, under the instigation of Lady Solti.
- "Birthdays". The Guardian (Guardian News & Media). 19 Aug 2014. p. 33.
- Pitts at the TV Announcer's website, includes image
- Georg Solti: the making of a musical colossus
- Robinson, p. 38
- Solti, p. 137
- Martin Cullingford, "New Solti website explores conductor's craft". Gramophone, 18 October 2002.
- Robinson, Paul (1979). Solti. London: Macdonald and Jane's. ISBN 0354042882.
- Solti, Georg; Harvey Sachs (1997). Solti on Solti. London: Chatto and Windus. ISBN 0701166304.
- Biography from World Orchestra for Peace
- Sir Georg Solti website
- The Solti Foundation website
- Image of Pitts at the TV Announcer's website
|This biographical article related to British television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|