|Valery Vladimirovich Vatenin|
|Born||January 27, 1933
|Died||June 16, 1977
|Training||Repin Institute of Arts|
Valery Vladimirovich Vatenin (Russian: Вале́рий Влади́мирович Вате́нин; January 27, 1933, Leningrad, USSR – June 16, 1977, Leningrad, USSR) was a Russian Soviet realist painter, graphic artist, and art teacher, who lived and worked in Leningrad. He was a member of the Leningrad branch of Union of Artists of Russian Federation, and regarded as one of the brightest representatives of the "left wing" of the Leningrad school of painting.
Valery Vladimirovich Vatenin was born January 27, 1933, in the Leningrad.
In 1947 Valery Vatenin entered at Tavricheskaya Art School, which he has graduated in 1952.
In 1953 Valery Vatenin was adopted at the first course of Department of Painting at the Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture named after Ilya Repin, where he studied under Valery Pimenov, Leonid Khudiakov, Alexander Zaytsev.
In 1959 Valery Vatenin has graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture in Boris Ioganson studio, together with German Yegoshin, Alexandra Tokareva, Nikolai Furmankov, Boris Nikolaev, Valentina Rakhina, and other young artists. His graduation work was genre painting "On the Balcony"
Since 1959, Valery Vatenin has participated in art exhibitions. He painted portraits, genre paintings, still lifes, worked in easel and monumental painting, as graphic artists and art teacher. His personal exhibitions were in Leningrad in 1985, and in Moscow in 1990.
In his paintings reality coexists with fiction. Portrait, landscape, still life shall lose canonical genre boundaries and appear as reflections the life in its complex spatial and temporal metamorphosis.
Valery Vatenin was a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists since 1965. In 1965–1973 years Valery Vatenin has taught painting and drawing at the Department of General Painting of the Higher School of Industrial Art named after Vera Mukhina.
Valery Vladimirovich Vatenin died on June 16, 1977 in Leningrad as a result of road accidents. His paintings reside in State Russian Museum, State Tretyakov Gallery, in the Art museums and private collections in Russia, England, Japan, in the U.S., and others.
- Leningrad School of Painting
- List of Russian artists
- List of 20th-century Russian painters
- List of painters of Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Directory of Members of the Union of Artists of USSR. Volume 1.- Moscow: Soviet artist, 1979. - p.185.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School.- Saint Petersburg: NP-Print Edition, 2007. – pp.21, 24, 30, 296, 358, 393, 394, 396, 397, 399, 492, 407, 416, 418, 419, 421, 424, 439, 444.
- Anniversary Directory graduates of Saint Petersburg State Academic Institute of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture named after Ilya Repin, Russian Academy of Arts. 1915 - 2005. - Saint Petersburg: Pervotsvet Publishing House, 2007. p.82.
- Artists of the peoples of the USSR. Biography Dictionary. Volume 2. - Moscow: Iskusstvo Edition, 1972. - p. 208.
- Natali Vatenina. Artist Valery Vatenin. - Leningrad: Aurora Edition, 1988.
- Matthew C. Bown. Dictionary of 20th Century Russian and Soviet Painters 1900-1980s. - London: Izomar, 1998. ISBN 0-9532061-0-6, ISBN 978-0-9532061-0-0.
- Time for change. The Art of 1960-1985 in the Soviet Union. - Saint Petersburg: State Russian Museum, 2006. - p. 217.
- Natali Vatenina. Artist Valery Vatenin. - Saint-Petersburg: Russian Collection, 2006.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. - Saint Petersburg: NP-Print Edition, 2007. – pp. 21, 24, 30, 296, 358, 393, 394, 396, 397, 399, 492, 407, 416, 418, 419, 421, 424, 439, 444. ISBN 5-901724-21-6, ISBN 978-5-901724-21-7.
- Valery Vatenin on the "Unknown Socialist Realism. Quests and Discoveries".
- The Leningrad School of painting. Historical outline.
- Chronology of the Leningrad School of painting.