Van Allen Plexico
|Van Allen Plexico|
January 12, 1968 |
|Occupation||Writer/Editor and Educator|
|Genres||Science fiction, Superhero fiction, Pulp Adventure, Comics Commentary|
|Subjects||History, Political Science|
Van Allen Plexico (born January 12, 1968) is an American professor of Political Science and History and a science fiction and fantasy author. He is generally considered one of the leading figures in the New Pulp movement.
Born in Sylacauga, Alabama, United States, Van Allen Plexico graduated from Auburn University with Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in 1990 and 1994, doing additional graduate work at Georgetown University and at Emory University. From 1995 through 2006, he lived and worked in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area, teaching at Georgia Perimeter College and at Shorter University. In 2006 he was named Assistant Professor of Political Science and History at Southwestern Illinois College, near St. Louis, Missouri. In 2011 he was promoted to Associate Professor.
Plexico has lectured, written, and spoken professionally on space science, alternate history, and the historical roots of contemporary comic books and science fiction and fantasy literature. He has been published in print and online in the areas of book, television, film, and comics criticism and commentary (often by RevolutionSF.com), and has moderated discussion panels and emceed trivia tournaments at science fiction conventions around the US, beginning in 1998.
He is the host of two weekly or semi-weekly podcast programs: The White Rocket Podcast, in which he interviews a different guest each week about a specific pop culture topic, and The Wishbone Podcast, in which he and co-host John Ringer discuss Auburn University football. The White Rocket Podcast is a member program of the Earth Station One Network of shows, while the Wishbone Podcast is produced and made available in conjunction with The War Eagle Reader web site and the War Eagle Sports Radio network. He is also a semi-regular guest co-host of the RevolutionSF "Revcast" Roundtable podcast and appears often on the Earth Station One Podcast.
He is the author of the Sentinels series of Superhero fiction / pulp adventure novels and stories, published (volumes one-three) by Swarm Press and (beginning with volume four) by White Rocket Books. Artist Chris Kohler has provided five full-page interior illustrations for each volume. Sentinels short stories also have been published in A Thousand Faces magazine.
A member of the Pulp Factory writers' and artists' group, Plexico's classic pulp revival novels and novellas are being published by Airship 27 Productions and Pro Se Press, among others. His Kerry Keen/The Griffon novella, "Conspiracy of Terror," was published by Adamant Entertainment in Thrilling Tales #1 and reprinted in Airship 27's Lance Star - Sky Ranger, Vol. 2. His science fiction novel, Lucian: Dark God's Homecoming, was published by Airship 27 in summer 2009. Additionally, two of his short stories were featured in Airship 27's bestselling and multiple award winning anthology, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, Vol. 1, also in 2009 (Winner of the 2010 Pulp Factory Awards for Best Pulp Cover Art, Best Pulp Interior Art, and Pulp Short Story of the Year for Andrew Salmon's "Mystery of the Locked Room.") Plexico also serves as an editor for White Rocket Books, editing and helping to publish novels and anthologies by writers such as Mark Bousquet, Jeff Deischer, James Palmer, and I. A. Watson. He has served as assistant editor on multiple projects for Airship 27.
An inductee of the Heroes Magazine Hall of Fame for his early work in the comics fandom community, he was founder (in 1995) and is executive editor of the Avengers-related comic book archives and reference site, AvengersAssemble. He has also contributed to the Wizard Magazine archives and was chosen by the Rittenhouse Archives to write the text for the backs of Upper Deck's commemorative The Complete Avengers, 1963-Present trading card set, chronicling the year-by-year history of the team. In 2007 he edited ASSEMBLED!, a critically acclaimed collection of essays analyzing and commenting upon Marvel's Avengers comics, with profits going to the HERO Initiative. A sequel, ASSEMBLED! 2, was published in July 2009.
As a member of the Spectacled Seven, Plexico is a founding editor of All-Pulp, a pulp fiction-themed online magazine and blog.
In September 2010 Plexico became a contributing columnist for the Auburn University sports and popular culture commentary site, The War Eagle Reader. His columns, written with John Ringer, were collected in a single volume, Season of Our Dreams, published in January 2011. In July 2011, that book made Amazon.com's Top 20 Best Sellers List for books about American football.
In early 2011 Plexico was nominated for the "Writer of the Year" Award by the membership of PulpArk, an Arkansas-based pulp convention, and for "Story of the Year" (for his story, "The Red Flame of Death," in Gideon Cain - Demon Hunter, Vol. 1) by the members of the Pulp Factory, awarded at the Windy City Pulp and Paperback Convention in Chicago each spring. In 2012 he was again nominated for "Writer of the Year" by the PulpArk voters, and his anthology, Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars, was nominated for seven awards including Pulp Anthology of the Year. The main character of Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars, John Blackthorn, won the 2012 Pulp Ark Award for "New Pulp Character of the Year".
In May 2013, Plexico's second nonfiction book about Auburn University football (again with co-author John Ringer), Decades of Dominance: Auburn Football in the Modern Era, was published as a trade paperback and in June 2013 it climbed to third on Amazon.com's Sports Best Sellers List. Plexico was interviewed about the book on the Alabama Tonight program on Birmingham, Alabama's NBC TV station and on other radio and TV programs.
Writer Kurt Busiek introduced the character of Detective Plexico to the pages of Marvel's Iron Man comic book series in 1999 as a reference to Van Plexico and the Avengers Assemble! Web site. In 2001, writer Keith R. A. DeCandido included a reference to the name Plexico in his Farscape novel, House of Cards, as a nod to Plexico.
The Sentinels Series
Beginning in 2006, Plexico began writing a multi-volume series of Superhero fiction novels and anthologies. The books are set in the modern day, but include major elements of space opera. The central character of the series is a teen-aged Asian-American woman who discovers she possesses electromagnetic powers and becomes involved with a US government-run organization known as Project: Sentinel. Each volume of the series stands alone as a single adventure but the books can be read together as an ongoing, continuous narrative in which the characters grow and change. As of 2013, the series stands at eight volumes (seven novels and one anthology). The most recent volume, the novel Metalgod, was published by White Rocket Books in December 2012 and hit #1 on the New Pulp Best Sellers chart in its second week of release.
- Sentinels: When Strikes the Warlord (WRB edition, 2006; Swarm Press edition, 2008), ISBN 1-934861-06-5
- The Complete Avengers 1963-Present Trading Card Set (Writer of the back-of-cards text, Rittenhouse Archives, 2006)
- Sentinels: A Distant Star (WRB edition, 2007; Swarm Press edition, 2008), ISBN 1-934861-07-3
- Sentinels: Apocalypse Rising (WRB edition, 2007; Swarm Press edition, 2008), ISBN 1-934861-08-1
- Assembled! Five Decades of Earth’s Mightiest (Editor, 2007), ISBN 978-0-615-15444-2
- Sentinels: Widescreen Special Edition (Author and Editor, limited edition deluxe hardcover, 2007)
- Sentinels: The Grand Design (Author and Editor, limited edition omnibus paperback, 2007)
- "The Spearhead of Invasion" in A Thousand Faces magazine, issue 3 (2008)
- "Conspiracy of Terror" (A Griffon novella) in Thrilling Tales magazine, issue 1 (2008)
- "Future Shocked" in A Thousand Faces magazine, issue 7 (2009)
- Sentinels: Alternate Visions (Editor, anthology, 2009), ISBN 978-0-578-01120-2
- The John Carter of Mars Trilogy of Edgar Rice Burroughs (Reprint Editor for White Rocket Books, 2009)
- Introduction to A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (White Rocket Books edition, 2009)
- Super Comics Trivia! (Editor, 2009), ISBN 978-1-4421-1091-5
- "The Problem at Stamford Bridge" and "The Adventure of the Tuvan Delegate" in Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, Vol. 1 (Airship 27 Productions/Cornerstone Books; anthology, 2009), ISBN 978-1-934935-50-7
- Lucian: Dark God's Homecoming (Airship 27 Productions/Cornerstone Books; novel, 2009), ISBN 978-1-934935-44-6
- Assembled! 2 (White Rocket Books, editor, 2009) ISBN 978-0-9841392-0-0
- Sentinels: The Shiva Advent (White Rocket Books, 2009) ISBN 978-0-9841392-1-7
- "Conspiracy of Terror" in Lance Star - Sky Ranger, Vol. 2 (Airship 27 Productions/ Cornerstone Books; anthology, 2009) ISBN 978-1-934935-61-3
- Sentinels: Worldmind (White Rocket Books, 2010) ISBN 978-0-9841392-2-4
- Introduction to The Boston Bombers graphic novel by Ron Fortier (Red Bud Studios, 2010)
- Gideon Cain - Demon Hunter, Vol. 1 (Airship 27 Productions; co-creator, co-editor, contributor; anthology, 2010) ISBN 978-1-934935-74-3
- "Godslayers" in Peculiar Adventures, Vol. 1 (Pro Se Press, pulp magazine, 2010)
- Season of Our Dreams (White Rocket Books; co-author; sports commentary, 2011) ISBN 978-0-9841392-3-1
- Mars McCoy, Space Ranger, Vol. 1 (Airship 27 Productions; co-creator and asst. editor; anthology, 2011) ISBN 978-1-934935-87-3
- Sentinels: Stellarax (White Rocket Books, 2011) ISBN 978-0-9841392-4-8
- "The Audacity of Hope: A Look Back on the 1994 Streak" in Maple Street Press Tigers Kickoff 2011 (Maple Street Press, sports commentary, 2011)
- "Thunder Over China" in Lance Star, Sky Ranger, Vol. 3 (Airship 27 Productions, anthology, 2011) ISBN 978-1-61342-015-7
- Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars (White Rocket Books; creator, editor, contributor; anthology, 2011) ISBN 978-0-9841392-6-2
- "Hawk: Hand of the Machine, Part 1" in Pro Se Presents, Issue 7 (Pro Se Press, pulp magazine, February 2012 issue) ISBN 978-1-4701-2654-4
- "Hawk: Hand of the Machine, Part 2" in Pro Se Presents, Issue 8 (Pro Se Press, pulp magazine, March 2012 issue) ISBN 978-1-4750-3482-0
- Hawk: Hand of the Machine (White Rocket Books, novel, 2012) ISBN 978-0-6156413-1-7
- Sentinels: The Grand Design (White Rocket Books, omnibus collection of volumes 1-3, 2012) ISBN 978-0-984-13925-5
- "The River of Deceit" in Monster Aces (Pro Se Press, anthology, 2012) ISBN 978-1-480-18738-2
- Sentinels: The Rivals (White Rocket Books, omnibus collection of volumes 4-6, 2012) ISBN 978-0-984-13927-9
- Sentinels: Metalgod (White Rocket Books, 2012) ISBN 978-0-6157339-0-6
- "Vengeance of the Viper" in The New Adventures of the Griffon (Pro Se Press, anthology, 2013) ISBN 978-1-48200-408-3
- The Shattering, Legion I: Lords of Fire (White Rocket Books, novel, 2013) ISBN 978-0-61575-419-2
- Decades of Dominance: Auburn Football in the Modern Era (White Rocket Books, co-author, sports commentary, 2013) ISBN 978-0984139286
- "The Devil You Know" in All-Star Pulp Comics Volume 2 (Red Bud Studios, graphic novel anthology, 2013)
- Mars McCoy, Space Ranger, Vol. 2 (Airship 27 Productions; co-creator, asst. editor and contributor, anthology, 2013) ISBN 978-0615838090
- MULTIPLEX: The Collected Stories of Van Allen Plexico (White Rocket Books, omnibus collection of short stories, 2013) ISBN 978-0615935430
- The Shattering, Legion II: Sons of Terra (White Rocket Books, novel, 2014) ISBN 978-0615973456
- Pride of the Mohicans (White Rocket Books, editor, anthology) ISBN 978-0692202357
- The Shattering, Legion III: Kings of Oblivion (White Rocket Books, novel, forthcoming, 2014) ISBN 978-0692021453