Vicky Pope is head of the climate predictions programme at the Hadley Centre. She spent 6 years as manager of atmospheric climate model development and evaluation. Since October 2004 she has been Head of the Climate Prediction Programme which provides independent scientific advice on climate change. Her research interests include developing and validating climate models.
In an interview for The Guardian newspaper, she said:
- "very few" scientists disputed the latest IPCC report. "The consensus on warming since the 1850s is that a large part is due to man's activities," she said. "That's the line of the IPCC report and that position is strengthening. It is a very widespread consensus. There are a few very vocal people who are sceptics, only some of whom are actually scientists. Sceptics obviously have a place in the community." link
PM Inness, JM Slingo, SJ Woolnough, RB Neale, VD Pope, 2001, Organization of tropical convection in a GCM with varying vertical resolution; implications for the simulation of the Madden-Julian Oscillation, Climate Dynamics vol. 17 no. 1, p. 777-793
- VD Pope, ML Gallani, PR Rowntree, RA Stratton, 2000, The impact of new physical parametrizations in the Hadley Centre climate model: HadAM3, Climate Dynamics vol. 16 no. 2-3, p. 123-146.
- WA Lahoz, A O'Neill, A Heaps, VD Pope, R Swinbank, RS Harwood, L Froidevaux, WG Read, JW Waters, GE Peckham, 1996, Vortex dynamics and the evolution of water vapour in the stratosphere of the southern hemisphere, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society vol. 122, issue 530, pp. 423–450 link
- AO'Neill, WL Grose, VD Pope, H Maclean, R Swinbank, 1994, Evolution of the Stratosphere during Northern Winter 1991/92 as Diagnosed from U.K. Meteorological Office Analyses, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences volume 51, issue 20 (October 1994) pp. 2800–2817 link
- A O'Neill, VD Pope, 1988, Simulations of linear and nonlinear disturbances in the stratosphere, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society vol. 114 issue 482, pp. 1063–1110 link
- CR Mechoso, A. O'Neill, D Pope, JD Farrara, 1988, A study of the stratospheric final warming of 1982 in the southern hemisphere, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 114 issue 484, pp. 1365–1384 link
- MJ Bailey, AO'Neill, VD Pope, 1993 Stratospheric Analyses Produced by the United Kingdom Meteorological Office, Journal of Applied Meteorology vol. 32 no. 9 pp. 1472–1483 link
- Dr Vicky Pope Met Office web page for Dr Pope
- Hadley Centre list of technical notes
|This article about a British scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a climatologist or meteorologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|