|Developer(s)||Hamrick Software (Ed Hamrick; David Hamrick)|
|Stable release||9.2.24 / 8 September 2013|
|Operating system||Windows 9x
Windows NT 4 or later
Mac OS X Panther or later
Ubuntu 8.10 or later
Red Hat Linux 9 or later
|Platform||IA-32 and x64|
|Size||Windows: 6 MB
Mac OS: 9 MB
Linux: 6 MB
|Type||Image scanner and optical character recognition|
VueScan is an image scanning and optical character recognition computer program developed by Ed Hamrick since 1998. It enables the user to tweak and fine-tune the scanning parameters. The program uses its own independent method to interface with scanner hardware. Therefore it is able to use an old scanner without a device driver on new x64 systems. The VueScan website lists more than 1,500 different supported scanners and digital cameras on Windows, 1,100 on Mac OS X and 700 on Linux.
VueScan is sold as one downloadable file with two different licenses (Standard and Professional). The license code determines which version is running. Without license the program runs in demo mode. The demo mode is identical to the professional license except that dollar-sign watermarks are superimposed on both saved and printed images.
By default VueScan only supports performing optical character recognition of English documents. However, 32 additional language packages are available for download from its website.
As of September 2011 Ed Hamrick was "selling $3M per year of VueScan licenses".
- Image Capture – alternative scanner software bundled free with Mac OS X
- SilverFast – alternative scanner software
- Scanner Access Now Easy – open source scanner API for Unix, Windows, OS/2
- "VueScan". Download.com. CBS Interactive. 25 May 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Softpedia Global Page for VueScan Downloads". Softpedia. SoftNews NET SRL. 26 May 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Fulton, Wayne. "VueScan". A few scanning tips. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Stone, David (27 July 2004). "VueScan 8.0 Professional". PC Magazine (Ziff Davis). Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Supported Scanners". Release Notes. Hamrick Software. 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Adding OCR Languages". VueScan. Hamrick Software. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Why is Vuescan struggling ?". Retrieved 2011-11-20.
|This Microsoft Windows software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Mac OS and/or OS X software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Linux-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This graphics software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|