W. Ken Martinez
|W. Ken Martinez|
|Member of the New Mexico House of Representatives
from the 69th district
|22nd Speaker of the New Mexico House of Representatives|
|Preceded by||Ben Luján|
|Succeeded by||Don Tripp|
|Born||Walter Kenneth Martinez, Jr.
February 12, 1959
Albuquerque, New Mexico
|Residence||Grants, New Mexico|
W. Ken Martinez (born February 12, 1959) is a member of the New Mexico House of Representatives, representing the 69th District since 1998.
Walter Kenneth Martinez, Jr. was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico on February 12, 1959. His parents were Walter Martinez, Sr. and Dolores Martinez. He is Roman Catholic. His father was a member of a group of Hispanic and liberal Anglo legislators called the Mama Lucy's who controlled the New Mexico House in the early 1970s, and was House speaker from 1971–78. W. Ken Martinez earned a Bachelor's degree from the University of New Mexico in 1981, and a law degree from the University of Notre Dame in 1984. His older sister Camille Olguin became a state district judge, and his younger brother Kevin Martinez became a lawyer. Ken and Kevin Martinez share a law practice in Albuquerque.
Martinez was elected to the New Mexico House of Representatives in 1998, taking office in 1999, and as of 2014 had held office continuously since then. In the June 1, 2010 Democratic primary Martinez was elected by 2,130 votes. He was unopposed in the November 2, 2010 general election for the 69th District, winning with 5,379 votes. He was House majority leader for eight years up to 2013. Martinez was sworn in as speaker of the house by governor Susana Martínez on 15 January 2013. In 2014 he was still speaker of the house. He was co-chair of the legislative council, capitol buildings planning commission and jobs council. He was a member of legislative committees on Labor and Human Resources, Rules and Order of Business, and Voters and Elections.
- Unterburger & Delgado 1994, p. 505.
- Rep. W. Ken Martinez (D-NM 69th District).
- Lenderman 2005.
- Speaker Ken W. Martinez Leadership Fund, Democracy.com.
- New Mexico House of Representatives elections, 2010, Ballotpedia.
- Boyd 2013.
- Reichbach 2014.
- Representative W. Ken Martinez - (D), NM Legislature.
- Ken Martinez's Biography, Vote Smart.
- Boyd, Dan (January 15, 2013). "Breaking: Rep. Ken Martinez Elected House Speaker". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Ken Martinez's Biography". Vote Smart. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Lenderman, Andy (January 28, 2005). "Rising Star: Father's Example Looms Large for House Majority Leader". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "New Mexico House of Representatives elections, 2010". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Reichbach, Matthew (February 12, 2014). "Speaker on budget: Not quite there yet, not on floor tomorrow". New Mexico Telegram. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Rep. W. Ken Martinez (D-NM 69th District)". AVMA. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Representative W. Ken Martinez - (D)". New Mexico Legislature. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Speaker Ken W. Martinez Leadership Fund". Democracy.com. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Unterburger, Amy L; Delgado, Jane L (1994). Who's who Among Hispanic Americans. Gale Research. ISBN 978-0-8103-8550-4. Retrieved 2014-10-22.