Waukegan Regional Airport
|Waukegan National Airport|
|USGS aerial image - 17 April 1998|
|IATA: UGN – ICAO: KUGN – FAA LID: UGN|
|Owner||Waukegan Port District|
|Elevation AMSL||727 ft / 222 m|
|Source: airport website and FAA|
Waukegan National Airport (IATA: UGN, ICAO: KUGN, FAA LID: UGN) is a public use airport located in Waukegan, a city in Lake County, Illinois, United States. The airport is 35 nautical miles (65 km) north of the central business district of Chicago. It was originally named Waukegan Memorial Airport. It has been operated by the Waukegan Port District since 1956 and is the second busiest airport in Illinois for international arrivals.In January of 2014 under a FAA reclassification of the airport and many others smaller airports across the United States, the airport was renamed Waukegan National Airport
Facilities and aircraft
Waukegan Regional Airport covers an area of 600 acres (240 ha) at an elevation of 727 feet (222 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways which are asphalt surfaces overlaying concrete pavements. The NE-SW runway 5/23 is 6,000 feet long and 150 feet wide (1,829 x 46 m), while the NW-SE runway 14/32 is 3,751 feet long and 75 feet wide (1,143 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2006, the airport had 69,007 aircraft operations, an average of 189 per day: 94% general aviation, 5% air taxi and 1% military. At that time there were 194 aircraft based at this airport: 53% single-engine, 19% multi-engine, 27% jet and 2% helicopter.
- Waukegan National Airport. Waukegan Port District. Accessed 14 October 2009.
- FAA Airport Master Record for UGN ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 27 August 2009.
- Waukegan Memorial Airport, IL. Aviation Safety Network. Accessed 14 October 2009.
- National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS): 2009-2013. Federal Aviation Administration. October 1, 2008.
- (PDF), effective June 26, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for UGN, effective June 26, 2014
- Resources for this airport:
- FAA airport information for UGN
- AirNav airport information for KUGN
- GlobalAir airport information for UGN
- ASN accident history for UGN
- FlightAware airport information and live flight tracker
- NOAA/NWS latest weather observations
- SkyVector aeronautical chart, Terminal Procedures
- OpenNav airport charts for KUGN