We Have A Dream: A Global Summit Against Discrimination and Persecution
We Have A Dream: Global Summit Against Discrimination and Persecution was attended by an international collection of non-governmental organizations to discuss issues of discrimination and persecution, particularly those of racism, sexism, homophobia, and discrimination against minorities. It occurred over two days, September 21 and 22 of 2011, across the street from a United Nations conference referred to as Durban III.
Led by the UN Watch, the summit was created as a response to the United Nations' inclusion of countries that commit particularly atrocious human rights abuses, such as China, Syria, Sudan, Zimbabwe, North Korea and Iran. This claim has been supported by the Human Rights Foundation, a partner of the summit, whose President, Thor Halvorssen, refers to Durban III as the last act in a tragicomedy” that underscores the UN’s complacency with “despotic regimes which speak pretty words about human rights while they kill, torture, or jail their opponents.”
- Thaung Htun: Activist
- Irwin Cotler: Member of Canadian Parliament
- Geng He: Dissident
- Jianli Yang: Dissident
- Fidel Suarez Cruz: Dissident
- Bertha Antunez: Women's rights activist
- Adeeb Yousif: Activist
- Judith Registre: Women for Women International
- Anna-Isabelle Tollet: Journalist and author
- Phillipe Robinet: Publisher, co-founder of Oh! Editions
- Young Ae Ma: Defector
- Bertha Kayitesi: Genocide survivor
- Luka Biong Deng: Director of KUSH, former minister
- John Dau: Genocide survivor, human rights activist
- Nasser Weddady: Civil Rights Outreach Director, AIC
- Rami Nakleh: Dissident
- Ngawang Sandral: Activist
- Jacqueline Kasha: LGBT activist
- David Keyes: Co-founder of Cyber Dissidents
- Maran Turner: Director of Freedom Now
- Joel Brinkley: Journalist
- Rebiya Kadeer: Activist, former prisoner
- Thuy Tran: Activist and writer
- Grace Kwinje: Dissident and journalist
- "Official Website". NGO Summit. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dissidents with a dream speak out at UN". UN Watch. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- Horn, Jordana. "NGOs to hold counterpoint to UN Durban commemoration". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- ""We Have a Dream" Global Summit against Discrimination and Persecution". Uyghur Human Rights Project. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "25 rights groups to hold victim summit in parallel to Durban III". UN Watch. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "HRF’s Response to Durban III: Partnership with "We Have A Dream" Global Summit". The Human Rights Foundation. Retrieved March 23, 2013.