West Side Avenue (HBLR station)
|West Side Avenue|
|Address||West Side Avenue & Claremont Avenue
Jersey City, NJ
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 80
Montgomery & Westside IBOA: 440 Shopper
(all buses on Mallory Avenue, one block west)
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||April 22, 2000|
|Electrified||750 V (DC) overhead catenary|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Passengers (2006)||229,580 1%|
The station is on an embankment above the east side of street, and consists of an island platform and two tracks. Bumper blocks are at the west end of the station while the platform continues with a pedestrian bridge and elevator connecting it a large park and ride lot and bus station. It is built along the former Central Railroad of New Jersey's Newark and New York Railroad right of way that continued west across Newark Bay. After two years of studies, in May 2011, NJT announced its plan for 0.7 mile extension of the line. The new track would be laid along an elevated viaduct from the West Side Avenue station, across Route 440 to the northern end of the proposed Bayfront redevelopment area, where a new station would be constructed. The trip between the two stations would take 1 minute and 50 seconds. The project, eligible for federal funding, is estimated to cost at $171.6 million.
- New Jersey City University
- Droyer's Point
- Greenville, Jersey City
- St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church
- Henry Snyder High School
- A. Harry Moore School*
- Jersey City Board of Education
- West Side Station photos
- Whiten, Jon (May 11, 2011). "Light Rail Extension to Jersey City’s West Side Gets Push Forward from NJ Transit". Jersey City Independent. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- Whiten, Jon (August 23, 2010). "West Side Light Rail Extension Project Picks Up Some Federal Funding". Jersey City Independent. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- - JB Bd of Ed @ Lightoiler Building[dead link]