Screenshot of wpa_gui
|Developer(s)||Jouni Malinen & others|
|Initial release||April 5, 2003|
|Stable release||2.0 / January 12, 2013|
wpa_supplicant is a free software implementation of an IEEE 802.11i supplicant for Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, AROS, Microsoft Windows and Haiku. In addition to being a full-featured WPA2 supplicant, it also implements WPA and older wireless LAN security protocols. Features include:
- WPA and full IEEE 802.11i/RSN/WPA2
- WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK (pre-shared key) ("WPA-Personal")
- WPA with EAP (e.g., with RADIUS authentication server) ("WPA-Enterprise")
- key management for CCMP, TKIP, WEP (both 104/128 and 40/64 bit)
- RSN: PMKSA caching, pre-authentication
Included with the supplicant are a graphical user interface and a command line interface utility for interacting with the running supplicant. From either of these interfaces it is possible to review a list of currently visible networks, select one of them, provide any additional security information needed to authenticate with the network (e.g. a passphrase or username and password) and add it to the preference list to enable automatic reconnection in the future.
The graphical user interface is built on top of the Qt library.
wpa_supplicant can authenticate with any of the following EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) methods:
- EAP-PEAP (both PEAPv0 and PEAPv1)
- EAP-PSK (experimental)
- LEAP (note: requires special functions in the driver)