Xu Zhen (artist)
Xu Zhen is a Shanghai-based artist.
Xu Zhen's art-making has crossed over various disciplines, from installation, photography, video to performance and painting. Executed with a critical intelligence, low-tech subtlety and often in forms of theatric pranks, Xu’s work focuses on human sensitivity (Rainbow, 1998; In Just a Blink of an Eye, 2005–07) and dramatizes the humdrum of urban living (ShanghArt Supermarket, 2007). His recent pieces have employed more provocative lexicons and social interventions so as to confront sociopolitical issues and taboos within the context of contemporary China (8848 - 1.86, 2005).
Over his decade’s long career, Xu Zhen has exhibited internationally, at museums and biennales, such as, Venice Biennale (2001, 2005), The Museum of Modern Art (New York, 2004), ICP (2004), Mori Art Museum (2005), PS1 (2006), Tate Liverpool (2007), etc. Xu Zhen’s curatorial experiments and engagement with an alternative art space and a website has complements and extends his conceptual practices.
Xu Zhen lives and works in Shanghai jqjsiand is represented by ShanghART gallery in Shanghai and James Cohan gallery New York.
- Forbidden Castle, Muzeum Montanelli, Prague, Czech Republic
- Impossible is Nothing, Long March Space, Beijing, China
- Xu Zhen, Folkert de Jong, Martha Colburn, James Cohan Gallery, New York
- Just Did It, James Cohan Gallery, New York
- In Just the Blink of an Eye, James Cohan Gallery with PERFORMA, New York
- Art '38 Basel, Art Unlimited-Xu Zhen 18 Days (at B3), Art Fair Switzerland
- 8848 - 1.86, ShanghART H-Space, Shanghai
- 8848 - 1.86, Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- An Animal, 2577 Longhua Road, Xuhui district, Shanghai
- Careful, Don't Get Dirty, Galerie Waldburger, Berlin, Germany
- A Young Man, Bizart, Shanghai
- Xu Zhen: Lonely Miracle: Middle East Contemporary Art Exhibition
- Hickling, Alfred (28 March 2007). "Great leap forward". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- ShanghART Gallery Gallery page of the artist
- James Cohan Gallery Works, biography, video clips, articles and reviews.
- Performa 2007 Live performance, In Just a Blink of Eye
- Tate Collection Mixed-media installation, 8848 - 1.86
- Xu Zhen at 88MoCCA: The Museum of Chinese Contemporary Art on the Web