"Yetsirah" as in "making" is as opposed to "Briah" as in "Creating": actually taking whatever matter that was created in the "Briah" and shaping it into the basic elements
On the Tree of Life diagram Yetzirah is associated with the Sephiroth Chesed, Geburah, Tiphareth, Netzach, Hod and Yesod. Together, the six Sephiroth are known as the Microprosopus (Zeir Anpin) also known as the 'Lesser Countenance' or the 'Small Face.' In this sense, it stands in contrast with the Macroprosopus (Arich Anpin).
Non-permanent angels dwell in the world of Yetzirah, unlike archangels which reside in Briah.
In addition, Yetzirah corresponds to:
- The letter vav ו in the Tetragrammaton
- The sefirot of Chesed, Gevurah, Tiferet, Netzach, Hod and Yesod and hence the partzuf of Zeir Anpin
- The element of Water
- The soul-level of ruach
- The soul-garment of speech
- The emotions
- The arms, torso, legs, and circumcision (Patach Eliyahu)
- In the allegory of the teacher and the student, the penultimate stage where the teacher gives a lesson, a compressed outline of the full concept to the student. Through this, the student gains an initial, external understanding of the concept
- The Pesukei Dezimra in the Shacharit prayer service
- Within the Western mystery tradition, the suit of swords in the occult tarot.
References and further reading
The Mystical Qabalah, Dion Fortune, Samuel Weiser publisher, 1984 p. 64
|This Kabbalah-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|