York Mills (TTC)
|Address||4015 Yonge Street
|Connections|| TTC buses
York Mills Bus Terminal
|Opened||31 March 1973|
Ranked 27th of 69
York Mills is a subway station on the Yonge–University–Spadina line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located at 4015 Yonge Street at Wilson Avenue/York Mills Road. This is in Hoggs Hollow, one of the most affluent neighbourhoods in the city, where Yonge Street crosses the Don River.
The original bus terminal was above ground, in an standard island configuration surrounded by bus bays, and at that time was also used by GO Transit buses.
- Northwest corner of Wilson and Yonge - street level entrance adjoining the parking lot
- Northeast corner of York Mills and Yonge - entrance via York Mills Centre
- Old York Mills Road east of Yonge - Kiss and Ride/Automatic Entrance
A tapestry called “Breaking Ground” by artist Laurie Swim was installed in the station in 2010 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of an accident that took place in Hoggs Hollow. On March 17, 1960, the incident popularly known as the "Hoggs Hollow Disaster" occurred. Five young Italian immigrant workers were killed while constructing a tunnel for a water main. The details of the accident, where they were trapped 35 feet underground in a cramped, dimly lit tunnel, sparked a public outcry over the lack of safety standards in construction and ultimately led to an improvement in working conditions in Ontario.
Subway infrastructure in the vicinity
The line passes under the Don River West Branch just south of the station platforms. The original plan was for an elevated station and a high-level bridge over the river, but local residents objected and the underground layout was substituted. Consequently, trains approach the station from both directions on a steep downgrade.
- 78 St. Andrews to Bayview Avenue
- 95A York Mills to Kingston Road
- 95B to University of Toronto Scarborough
- 95C to Ellesmere Station
- 95E to University of Toronto Scarborough (Express Service)
- 96A Wilson to Carrier Drive via Kipling Avenue and John Garland Boulevard
- 96B to Humberline Drive and Albion Road
- 96C to Thistle Down Boulevard via Albion Road
- 96D to Carrier Drive and Westmore Drive
- 96G to Torbarrie Road and Clayson Road (rush hour service)
- 97A Yonge to Davisville Station (Use curbside bus stops outside the station)
- 115 Silver Hills to Leslie Street and walkway to Oriole GO Station
- 122 Graydon Hall to Roywood Drive via Lesmill Road
- 165 Weston Rd North to Steeles Avenue
- 165A to Wonderland Terminal (Canada's Wonderland seasonal)
- 165D to Major Mackenzie Drive (Extra fare required north of Steeles Avenue)
- 165F to Canada Drive (Extra fare required north of Steeles Avenue)
- 319 Blue Night Wilson to Martin Grove Road and Steeles Avenue West
- 320A Blue Night Yonge to Queens Quay (Use curbside bus stops outside the station)
- 321 Blue Night York Mills to Finch Avenue via Neilson Road
- TTC York Mills Subway Station, at Yonge Street and Wilson Avenue, has one parking lot.
- "Subway ridership, 2012-2013". Toronto Transit Commission. "This table shows the typical number of customer-trips made on each subway on an average weekday and the typical number of customers travelling to and from each station platform on an average weekday. Five stations serve two subways, and so are listed twice, once for each subway"
- Patty Winsa (March 16, 2010). "Quilt unveiling marks 50 years since Hogg’s Hollow disaster". Toronto Star. Retrieved January 2012.
- "The Hoggs Hollow Disaster". Pipe Dreams. Metropolitan Toronto Archives. 1997. Retrieved January 2012.
- Bow, James (2006-11-10). "The North Yonge Extensions". Transit Toronto. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
Media related to York Mills Station at Wikimedia Commons