La Salle University basketball scandal
The La Salle University basketball scandal was an incident that began in June 2004, in which three members of the La Salle University men's basketball team (Gary Neal, Michael Cleaves, and Dzaflo Larkai) were accused of rape in two separate incidents.
One allegation related to an encounter in April 2003 where one men's basketball player was accused of raping a women's basketball player. These charges were dismissed in December 2005 after the accuser decided not to proceed. The other allegation related to an incident in June 2004 where two other members of the basketball team were accusing of raping a visiting female basketball player. These two players were acquitted on November 4, 2005 after a trial.
It later emerged that men's basketball coach Billy Hahn and women's basketball coach John Miller had known about allegations surrounding the rape of the women's basketball player, but hadn't told school officials about it. However, Hahn and Miller were required by school policy to report the incident to a counselor. This was to ensure La Salle's compliance with the Clery Act, which requires colleges to report information about crime on campus. As a result, Hahn and Miller resigned on July 24, 2004.
- "Ex-Hoop Players Acquitted in Rape Case". Associated Press. 2005-11-05. Retrieved 2014-07-02. Also published as "Ex-La Salle Hoopsters Acquitted of Rape."
- Dale, Maryclaire (July 9, 2004). "Second La Salle Player Charged With Rape". Associated Press. Archived from the original on July 12, 2004. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "La Salle Player Won't Face Rape Charges". Associated Press. 2014-07-02. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Katz, Andy. Former coach wants to inform others of rules. ESPN, August 23, 2004.
- Greenberg, Mel (July 25, 2004). "La Salle coaches step down". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
|This college basketball-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to sports in Philadelphia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|