From today's featured article
Interstate 470 (I-470) is a 10.63-mile-long (17.1-kilometer) auxiliary Interstate Highway of I-70 that bypasses the city of Wheeling, West Virginia, in the United States. It is the only auxiliary Interstate Highway in West Virginia. The western terminus of I-470 is an interchange with I-70 in Richland Township, Ohio. Passing southeast through rural Belmont County, I-470 crosses the Ohio River on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Bridge, entering Ohio County, West Virginia, at a complex three-level diamond interchange with concurrent highways U.S. Route 250 and West Virginia Route 2. After turning east towards Bethlehem, it terminates at I-70 in West Virginia near Elm Grove. The freeway was built between 1975 and 1983. On average, between 25,500 and 37,840 vehicles use the highway daily. The West Virginia portion of I-470 has been named the USS West Virginia Memorial Highway since December 2000, commemorating the attack on Pearl Harbor. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that the shrub Hakea pulvinifera (pictured) was first described in 1962, believed extinct in 1971, and rediscovered in 1988?
- ... that when the student Li Xifan published articles criticizing the scholar Yu Pingbo, Mao Zedong praised the "nobody" Li and launched an attack on the "bigwig" Yu?
- ... that "House of the King" by Focus has been a theme tune on British television twice?
- ... that chef Moshe Basson forages for wild plants and herbs in the Jerusalem hills to use in his traditional regional cuisine at The Eucalyptus restaurant?
- ... that Ameenpur Lake is both the first water body and the first urban environment in India to be declared a Biodiversity Heritage Site?
- ... that Latvian artist Rūdolfs Pērle was sent to the Caucasus front in World War I as an expert on observation balloons?
- ... that an Armenian church in Istanbul was demolished in 1958 and rebuilt years later half as wide, to make room for the street?
- ... that Journal Herald columnist Marj Heyduck was photographed in a different hat for each of her daily columns, totaling more than 2,500 different hats?
In the news
Christmas market in Strasbourg
On this day