From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From today's featured article
(born 1940) is an English drummer, singer, songwriter, and actor best known as the drummer for Ringo Starr the Beatles. As a child he was twice afflicted by life-threatening illnesses requiring prolonged hospitalisations. He cofounded his first band in 1957, the Eddie Clayton Skiffle Group, and then achieved moderate success with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. He joined the Beatles in 1962, replacing Pete Best. He sang lead vocals for " With a Little Help from My Friends" and " Yellow Submarine". Starr played key roles in the Beatles' films and appeared in numerous others. After the band's break-up in 1970, he released " It Don't Come Easy", " Photograph" and " Back Off Boogaloo", followed by the 1973 top ten album . He narrated the first two seasons of the children's television series Ringo . Since 1989, he has successfully toured with twelve variations of Thomas & Friends Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. In 2011 readers named Starr the fifth-greatest drummer of all time. He was inducted into the Rolling Stone Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a Beatle in 1988 and for his solo career in 2015. ( ) Full article...
Did you know...
In the news
On this day...
Other areas of Wikipedia
– Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas. Community portal
– Ask questions about using Wikipedia. Help desk
– For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English. Local embassy
– Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects. Reference desk
– Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation. Site news
– For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies. Village pump
Wikipedia's sister projects
Wikipedia is hosted by the
Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects:
This Wikipedia is written in
English. Started in 2001 , it currently contains 4,910,976 articles. Many other Wikipedias are available; some of the largest are listed below.
More than 1,000,000 articles:
More than 400,000 articles:
More than 250,000 articles:
More than 50,000 articles: