From today's featured article
Pah Wongso Pendekar Boediman (Malay for Pah Wongso the Righteous Warrior) is a 1941 detective film from the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia). It follows the schoolmaster and social worker Pah Wongso as he investigates a murder to clear his protégé's name. The first release by Star Film, it featured camerawork by Cho' Chin Hsin and was produced by Jo Eng Sek, who had previously produced Si Tjonat. It stars Pah Wongso (born Louis Wijnhamer), Elly Joenara, and Mohamad Arief. The first film of its genre to be produced in the Indies, Pah Wongso Pendekar Boediman was made to capitalize on the popularity of Wijnhamer and Hollywood characters such as Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto. Released in April 1941 to popular acclaim, it had a mixed critical reception; the reviewer Saeroen suggested that its success was entirely because of its star's renown. Pah Wongso Tersangka, a sequel, was released later that year, but this film may now be lost. (Full article...)
Did you know...
Reconstructed mount of Irritator
- ... that Irritator (model pictured), a spinosaurid dinosaur, was named due to the frustration of palaeontologists who discovered that its skull had been covered with plaster by fossil dealers?
- ... that Native American poet Jennifer Foerster co-directs a program fostering arts education for women and girls of the Muscogee Nation?
- ... that the French submarine Regnault, built to fight in the First World War, was named after a 19th-century chemist?
- ... that Derrick Barnes, author of the award-winning children's book Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut, began his career as the first black male copywriter for Hallmark?
- ... that thousands of bats are protected by monks at the Bat Pagoda in Sóc Trăng City, Vietnam?
- ... that the footballer Wayne Matthews started his own manufacturing business by embroidering sportswear in his bedroom?
- ... that a geologic fault was discovered in the Yakima, Washington, area during construction of Interstate 82?
- ... that after a force of Anglo-Gascon cavalry defeated a French force, they had to walk home because the surviving French had captured their horses?
In the news
Voyager 2 model
On this day