From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From today's featured article
is a style of Viking metal heavy metal music characterized by a lyrical and thematic focus on Norse mythology, Norse paganism, and the Viking Age. It is a genre, or group of genres, often featuring slow-paced and heavy riffing, anthemic choruses, use of both sung and harsh vocals, inclusion of folk instrumentation, and frequent use of keyboards for atmospheric effect. It emerged during the late 1980s and early 1990s from black metal groups who were influenced by Nordic folk music. Artists such as Led Zeppelin, Yngwie Malmsteen, Heavy Load, and Manowar had used lyrics that invoked the Vikings, but Bathory from Sweden is generally credited with pioneering the style. Enslaved (pictured), from Norway, followed up Bathory's work with several Viking-themed albums released during the 1990s. Burzum, Emperor, Einherjer, and Helheim, among others, further developed the genre. As early as 1989 with Falkenbach from Germany, Viking metal began spreading outside the Nordic countries and across the globe. The death metal bands Unleashed and Amon Amarth also adopted Viking themes, broadening the style from its primarily black metal origin. ( ) Full article...
Did you know...
Rossa Matlida Richter
Other areas of Wikipedia
– Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas. Community portal
– Ask questions about using Wikipedia. Help desk
– For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English. Local embassy
– Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects. Reference desk
– Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation. Site news
– For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies. Village pump
Wikipedia's sister projects
Wikipedia is hosted by the
Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects:
This Wikipedia is written in
English. Started in 2001 , it currently contains 5,347,111 articles. Many other Wikipedias are available; some of the largest are listed below.
More than 1,000,000 articles:
More than 250,000 articles:
More than 50,000 articles: