From today's featured article
Suillus bovinus, the Jersey cow mushroom, is a pored mushroom in the family Suillaceae. A common fungus native to Europe and Asia, it has been introduced to North America and Australia. It was initially described as Boletus bovinus by Carl Linnaeus in 1753, and given its current binomial name by Henri François Anne de Roussel in 1806. It is an edible mushroom, though not highly regarded. The fungus grows in coniferous forests in its native range, and pine plantations elsewhere. It is sometimes parasitised by the related mushroom Gomphidius roseus. S. bovinus produces spore-bearing mushrooms, often in large numbers, each with a convex grey-yellow or ochre cap reaching up to 10 cm (4 in) in diameter, flattening with age. As in other boletes, the cap has spore tubes extending downward from the underside, rather than gills. The pore surface is yellow. The stalk, more slender than those of other Suillus boletes, lacks a ring. (Full article...)
Did you know...
Baba Anujka at her 1929 trial
- ... that Serbian poisoner Baba Anujka (pictured), aged over 90 at the time of her trial, was sentenced to 15 years' hard labor?
- ... that Carlton le Willows Academy alumni include cricketer Mark Footitt, Air Supply singer/guitarist Graham Russell, and balloonist Janet Folkes?
- ... that Para Mi, the debut studio album by Cuco, touches on recent problems that he has experienced first-hand, including a tour bus accident that sent him and his band to the hospital?
- ... that although honeynut squash originated about forty years ago, it has only been in markets for four years?
- ... that when rag sorter Mary Fitzpatrick was tried for murder, the jury included six aristocrats and the judge was Sir Henry Hawkins of the High Court, known as "Hanging Hawkins"?
- ... that the Elevador de Aguas de Gordejuela housed the first steam engine on Tenerife?
- ... that according to Jennifer Foster, Iron Age metalsmiths of high-quality goods in Britain might have been itinerant rather than having a fixed abode?
- ... that Leo Frobenius announced the discovery of the lost city of Atlantis during his Fourth German Inner Africa Research Expedition?
In the news
On this day