From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From today's featured article
was the second deadliest 1928 Okeechobee hurricane tropical cyclone ever in the United States, after the 1900 Galveston hurricane. The only major hurricane of its season, it struck Guadeloupe as a Category 4 storm on September 12, causing 1,200 deaths. The islands of Martinique, Montserrat, and Nevis also reported damage and fatalities. After sustained winds peaked at 160 mph (260 km/h) the next day, the storm became the only Category 5 hurricane ever to hit Puerto Rico; 24,728 homes were destroyed and 192,444 were damaged, leaving 312 people dead and over 500,000 homeless. Early on September 17, the storm made landfall in Florida near Lake Okeechobee with winds of 145 mph (233 km/h). The storm surge forced water out of the southern edge of the lake, spreading floodwaters as high as 20 feet (6.1 m) over hundreds of square miles. Houses were swept away in the cities of Belle Glade, Canal Point, Chosen, Pahokee, and South Bay, and at least 2,500 people drowned. The tropical storm also hit Georgia and the Carolinas. Overall, the system caused $100 million in damage and at least 4,079 deaths. ( ) Full article...
Did you know...
First Congregational Church of Albany
Other areas of Wikipedia
– Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas. Community portal
– Ask questions about using Wikipedia. Help desk
– For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English. Local embassy
– Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects. Reference desk
– Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation. Site news
– For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies. Village pump
Wikipedia's sister projects
Wikipedia is hosted by the
Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects:
This Wikipedia is written in
English. Started in 2001 , it currently contains 5,073,759 articles. Many other Wikipedias are available; some of the largest are listed below.
More than 1,000,000 articles:
More than 250,000 articles:
More than 50,000 articles: