From today's featured article
Interstate 70 passes through Colorado on its route between its western terminus at Cove Fort, Utah, and its eastern at Baltimore, Maryland. In western Colorado, the highway connects the metropolitan areas of Grand Junction and Denver via a route through the Rocky Mountains. Bicycles are allowed on those stretches of I-70 in the Rockies where no other through route exists. The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) lists the construction of I-70 among the engineering marvels undertaken in the Interstate Highway system. The Eisenhower Tunnel, with a maximum elevation of 11,158 feet (3,401 m) and length of 1.7 miles (2.7 km), is the longest mountain tunnel and highest point along the Interstate Highway System. The portion through Glenwood Canyon was completed on October 14, 1992, one of the final pieces of the Interstate Highway System to open to traffic, and one of the most expensive rural highways per mile built in the United States. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
In the news
On this day
March 1: Nineteen-Day Fast begins (Baháʼí Faith, 2021); Independence Day in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (1992); Saint David's Day in Wales; Yap Day in Yap State, Federated States of Micronesia
From today's featured list
British actor David Niven's entertainment career began in 1932, where he was an uncredited extra in There Goes the Bride. Niven went on to appear in nearly a hundred films. His film credits include critical successes such as A Matter of Life and Death (1946), The Bishop's Wife (1947), Carrington V.C. (1954), and Around the World in 80 Days (1956). Niven received two Golden Globe Awards for his performances in The Moon Is Blue (1953) and Separate Tables (1958); the latter performance also earned him the Academy Award for Best Actor. Niven also starred in the American television anthology series Four Star Playhouse (1952–1956), which earned him an Emmy nomination at the 7th Primetime Emmy Awards. (Full list...)
Other areas of Wikipedia
- Community portal – Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas.
- Help desk – Ask questions about using Wikipedia.
- Local embassy – For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English.
- Reference desk – Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects.
- Site news – Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Village pump – For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies.
Wikipedia's sister projects
Free media repository
Wiki software development
Wikimedia project coordination
Free textbooks and manuals
Free knowledge base
Collection of quotations
Directory of species
Free learning tools
Free travel guide
Dictionary and thesaurus