2006 Huntsville bus crash
|Huntsville Bus Accident|
|Date||November 20, 2006|
|Bus route or line||School bus|
|Bus operator||Laidlaw Transit|
|Bus owner||Laidlaw Transit|
|Type of incident||Fall from bridge|
The Huntsville bus crash involved a school bus carrying 40 students from Lee High School to the Huntsville Center for Technology center and occurred on November 20, 2006 on an elevated portion of Interstate 565 in Huntsville, Alabama. Police stated that the bus went over the side of the road after a car driven by another Lee High student tried to swerve around the bus, causing the bus driver to swerve going over the cliff. Four students were killed and 23 were injured after the bus plunged almost 40 feet. The driver was ejected from the bus before it went over the side of the bridge. The crash was extensively covered by CNN and USA Today.
The crash reignited debate over the installation of seat belts in buses, and whether Alabama should follow the lead of states such as Florida in legislating compulsory lap belts. Following the crash Alabama Governor Bob Riley ordered a report be made into the issue. A study group consisting of education and transport officials interviewed 17 expert witnesses, and in early 2007 released recommendations that a pilot program be run with lap/shoulder belts being installed in a limited number of new buses from 2008.
- "Bus Accident Update: Fourth Student Dies". Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- "At least 3 students killed in school bus crash - CNN.com". Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "3 students killed in school bus crash in Alabama - USATODAY.com". Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Story of Strength: Meet Maddie Jamieson". 1 September 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- Recommendations from the Governor's Study Group on School Bus Seat Belts
- NTSB Highway Accident Brief HWY-07-MH-007: School Bus Bridge Override Following Collision With Passenger Vehicle, Huntsville, Alabama, November 20, 2006
|This article about disaster management or a disaster is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|