2009–10 Sun Belt Conference men's basketball season
|2009–10 Sun Belt Conference men's basketball season|
|League||NCAA Division I|
|Duration||November 9, 2009
through March 6, 2010
|Number of teams||13|
|TV partner(s)||ESPN, CBS Sports|
|2009–10 Sun Belt Conference men's basketball standings|
|Middle Tennessee State||13||–||5||.722||19||–||14||.576|
|† 2010 Sun Belt Conference Tournament winner
Rankings from AP Poll
The 2009–10 Sun Belt Conference men's basketball season marks the 33rd season of Sun Belt Conference basketball.
Blue Ribbon magazine predicted Western Kentucky University to win the East Division. The Hilltoppers are returning from a season in which they came within one second of upsetting Gonzaga and advancing to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen. In addition, Hilltopper star A.J. Slaughter was named the Preseason Player of the Year.
Sun Belt Preseason Poll
- East Division
|3||Middle Tennessee State|
- West Division
Preseason All-SBC Team
- G -- Brandon Hazzard (Troy, Sr.)
- G -- A. J. Slaughter (WKU, Sr.)
- F -- Nate Rohnert (Denver, Sr.)
- F -- Eric Tramiel (North Texas, Sr.)
- F -- Desmond Yates (Middle Tennessee, Sr.)
In terms of upsets over the six major conferences, Western Kentucky beat Vanderbilt University 76-69 on December 11. A.J. Slaughter scored 27 points to lead the Hilltoppers to their first win over Vanderbilt since 1946. Western Kentucky led for the final 16:33 of the game, though Vanderbilt cut the lead to one twice. This was Vanderbilt's second consecutive loss.
- "Blue Ribbon Tabs Slaughter-Led Toppers as Team to Beat in 2009-10". Western Kentucky University. 21 September 2009. Retrieved 16 December 2009.
- Lockridge, Jeff (12 December 2009). "Western Kentucky beats Vanderbilt for first time since 1946". The Tennesseean. Retrieved 16 December 2009.[dead link]