5600 West Old Bingham Highway (UTA station)
|Utah Transit Authority (UTA)
TRAX light rail station
|Location||5651 West Old Bingham Highway
West Jordan, Utah
Utah Transit Authority (UTA):
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||7 August 2011|
5600 W Old Bingham Hwy is a light rail station in West Jordan, Utah, in the United States, served by the Red Line of the Utah Transit Authority's (UTA) TRAX light rail system. The Red Line provides service from the University of Utah to the Daybreak Community of South Jordan.
The station is located at 5651 West Old Bingham Highway and is easily accessible from that roadway. It is also slightly northwest of the new Mountain View Corridor (SR-85)/Old Bingham Highway interchange. The station has a free Park and Ride lot with 420 parking spaces available, but there are plans for more than 620 parking spaces.[Note 1] In the original planning stages, the station was referred to as "5600 West Station", but later changed to the current name. Notwithstanding, the signage at the station (the Park and Ride and the passenger platform) indicates "5651 W. Old Bingham Hwy". The station opened 7 August 2011 as part of the Red Line (Mid-Jordan) and is operated by the Utah Transit Authority.
All of UTA's TRAX and FrontRunner trains and stations, streetcars and streetcar stops, and all fixed route buses are compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act and are therefore accessible to those with disabilities. Signage at the stations, on the passenger platforms, and on the trains clearly indicate accessibility options. In accordance with the Utah Clean Air Act and UTA ordinance, "smoking is prohibited on UTA vehicles as well as UTA bus stops, TRAX stations, and FrontRunner stations".
On weekdays the first northbound Red Line train (to the University Medical Center Station) leaves the 5600 W Old Bingham Hwy Station at about 5:00 am and the first southbound train (to the Daybreak Parkway Station) leaves at about 5:30 am. The last southbound train leaves at 11:53 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 11:24 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last southbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 10:24 pm.[Note 2]
On Saturdays the first southbound train leaves at about 6:00 am and the first northbound train leaves at about 6:15 am. The last southbound train leaves at 11:12 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 11:34 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last northbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 10:34 pm.[Note 2]
On Sundays the first southbound train leaves at about 10:00 am and the first northbound train leaves at about 10:15 am. The last southbound train leaves at 7:52 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 8:14 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last northbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 7:14 pm.[Note 2]
Bus routes are current as of Change Day, 17 August 2014. 5600 W Old Bingham Hwy is one very few TRAX stations that, as of August 2014, does not have any direct bus connections, nor any bus stops in close proximity. However, with the westward population expansion in the Salt Lake Valley and the recently completed Mountain View Corridor highway the need for bus service in this area will increase.
- On 1 July 2013 UTA announced that beginning immediately it was starting a one year pilot program involving most of its TRAX and FrontRunner Park and Ride lots. The purpose of the new program is to make rider connections with the Salt Lake City International Airport more convenient by avoiding the need to park at the airport. The program allows UTA patrons to park for an "unlimited amount of time" in the designated Park and Ride lots. In addition, UTA will allow free parking in all of its parking garages. Previous UTA policy limited parking to no more than 24 hours, except at its parking garages. As part of the year long pilot program, "UTA will measure parking lot usage and monitor costs, maintenance requirements, impacts to snow removal and security issues before determining if the program will be extended." There are eight Park and Ride lots that are excluded from this test program and the 24-hour time limit will still apply to these lots. 5600 W Old Bingham Hwy Station's lot is specifically included in this test program. Notwithstanding permission to park for extended periods in the applicable Park and Ride Lots, updated signage at the stations advises that the UTA Transit Police request that they be notified anytime a car is parked in one of the lots for more than seven days.
On 3 July 2014 UTA announced that it had extended the free parking pilot program for another year, but was removing two stations from the program.
- Train schedules are current as of Change Day, 17 August 2014
- "TRAX Parking and Stops". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 18 Feb 2013.
- Fidel, Steve (1 Oct 2010). "2011 completion date for two TRAX lines announced". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 6 Mar 2013.
- Hancock, Laura (25 Feb 2010). "UTA's board OKs station names". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 8 Aug 2013.
- "5600 West Station site plan" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 13 Apr 2011.
- "UTA Offers Free Multi-Day Parking". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 26 Jun 2013. Retrieved 12 Aug 2014.
- "UTA Renews Free Long-term Parking Program". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 3 Jul 2014. Retrieved 30 Jul 2014.
- "Mid-Jordan Transit Corridor CE/PE/FEIS" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 8 Aug 2013.
- "Fixed Route Accessibility". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 13 Mar 2013.
- "Rider Rules". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Mar 2013.
- "TRAX" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 13 Apr 2014. Retrieved 15 Apr 2014.
- "Route 703 - Red Line" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Aug 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 5600 West Old Bingham Highway (UTA station).|