A. Catrina Coleman
Coleman was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1956, the first daughter of Vincent Redvers Hanna and Nora (McColl) Hanna. She was educated at St. Stephen’s Primary School in Dalmuir and Notre Dame High School in Dumbarton, She then earned the B.Sc. degree in physics from the University of Glasgow in 1978 and took teacher training at St. Andrews College of Education in Bearsden. After two years as a high school physics teacher, she returned to the University of Glasgow and was awarded the Ph.D. degree in Physics in 1987.
After graduating, she remained at the University of Glasgow. She joined the Optoelectronics Group of the Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering at Glasgow as a post doctoral Research Assistant and was appointed a Research Fellow in 1992, becoming a Senior Research Fellow in 1997 and Professorial Research Fellow in 2005. She and the other members of this group are primarily recognized for their pioneering work on fabricating photonic integrated circuits on III-V semiconductor chips based on quantum well intermixing.
In 2012, Coleman joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign working in the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory. In 2013, she moved to the University of Texas at Dallas as Professor of Electrical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering.
Honors and Professional Activities
Coleman was elected a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers in 2008 and Fellow of the Optical Society of America in 2009. In 2006 she shared (with J.H. Marsh) the IEEE Photonics Society (formerly Lasers and Electro-Optics Society) Engineering Achievement Award for extensive development and commercialization of quantum well intermixing for photonic devices. Coleman has been an elected board member and vice president of the IEEE Photonics Society. She has published more than 100 papers in scholarly journals with more than 40 invited presentations and publications.
- NEW FACULTY MEMBER BRYCE IS AN EXPERT IN OPTOELECTRONICS
- "Ann Catrina Coleman - Faculty Profiles- Erik Jonsson School of Engineering & Computer Science - The University of Texas at Dallas". ece.utdallas.edu. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "IEEE - Women IEEE Fellows". Archived from the original on August 5, 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- OSA Awards & Honors Archived March 19, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- LEOS Profiles: 2006 Award Recipients
- "Get to Know Your Society Leadership". IEEE Photonics Society News. 31: 10–11. October 2017.