Venturicidins (also known as aabomycins) are a group of antifungal compounds. The first member of this class was isolated from Streptomyces bacteria in 1961. Additional members of this class were subsequently isolated and characterized. An antifungal substance "aabomycin A" was isolated from Streptomyces in 1969. However, in 1990 it was reported that aabomycin A is actually a 3:1 mixture of two related components, which were then named aabomycin A1 and aabomycin A2. The structures of these were shown to be identical with those of the previously characterized compounds venturicidin A and venturicidin B, respectively. A new analog, venturicidin C, was recently reported from a Streptomyces isolated from thermal vents associated with the Ruth Mullins coal fire in Kentucky.
- Rhodes, A.; Fantes, K. H.; Boothroyd, B.; McGonagle, Moira P.; Crosse, R. (1961). "Venturicidin: A new antifungal antibiotic of potential use in agriculture". Nature. 192 (4806): 952–954. Bibcode:1961Natur.192..952R. doi:10.1038/192952a0. PMID 14491780.
- Brufani, M.; Keller-Schierlein, W.; Loeffler, W.; Mansperger, I.; Zaehner, H. (1968). "Metabolic products of microorganisms. LXIX. Venturicidin B, cotrycidin, and the sugar structural units of venturicidin A and B". Helvetica Chimica Acta. 51 (6): 1293–1304. doi:10.1002/hlca.19680510612. PMID 5680738.
- Aizawa, Shojiro; Nakamura, Yuko; Shirato, Shiro; Taguchi, Ryusuke; Yamaguchi, Isamu; Misato, Tomomasa (1969). "Aabomycin A, a new antibiotic. I. Production, isolation, and properties of aabomycin A". Journal of Antibiotics. 22 (10): 457–462. doi:10.7164/antibiotics.22.457. PMID 5350501.
- Yamaguchi, Isamu; Taguchi, Ryusuke; Huang, Keng Tang; Misato, Tomomasa (1969). "Aabomycin A, a new antibiotic. II. Biological studies on aabomycin A". Journal of Antibiotics. 22 (10): 463–466. doi:10.7164/antibiotics.22.463. PMID 5350502.
- Akita, Hiroyuki; Yamada, Harutami; Oishi, Takeshi; Yamaguchi, Isamu (1990). "Identity of aabomycin A with venturicidins". Agricultural and Biological Chemistry. 54 (9): 2465–2466. doi:10.1271/bbb1961.54.2465. PMID 1368582.
- Shaaban, KA; Singh, S; Elshahawi, SI; Wang, X; Ponomareva, LV; Sunkara, M; Copley, GC; Hower, JC; Morris, AJ; Kharel, MK; Thorson, JS (March 2014). "Venturicidin C, a new 20-membered macrolide produced by Streptomyces sp. TS-2-2". The Journal of Antibiotics. 67 (3): 223–30. doi:10.1038/ja.2013.113. PMC . PMID 24252813.
- Matolcsy, György; Nádasy, Miklós; Andriska, Viktor (1988). Pesticide Chemistry. Elsevier. p. 482. ISBN 978-0-444-98903-1. Retrieved 24 July 2012.