Abdur Rab (Arabic: عبد الرب ) is a male Muslim given name, and in modern usage, surname. It is built from the Arabic words Abd, al- and Rabb. The name means "servant of the Lord", a Muslim theophoric name.
The letter a of the al- is unstressed, and can be transliterated by almost any vowel, often by u. Because the letter r is a sun letter, the letter l of the al- is assimilated to it. Thus although the name is written in Arabic with letters corresponding to Abd al-Rab, the usual pronunciation corresponds to Abd ar-Rab. Alternative transliterations include ‘Abd ar-Rabb, Abdul Rab, and others, all subject to variable spacing and hyphenation.
It may refer to:
People with the given name
- Abdur Rab Nishtar (1899–1958), Pakistani politician
- Abdurabb Al Yazeedi (born 1988), Qatari footballer
People with the surname
- A. S. M. Abdur Rab (born 1945), Bangladeshi politician
- P. K. Abdu Rabb (born 1948), Kerala politician
- Mohammad Abdur Rab, Bangladesh academic and administrator
- Syed Abdur Rabb (1903-1969), Bengali social worker
- Salahuddin Ahmed (1999). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. London: Hurst & Company.
- S. A. Rahman (2001). A Dictionary of Muslim Names. New Delhi: Goodword Books.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|