Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance
|Founded||Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States (May 27, 1987 )|
Number of locations
|Jessie Stauffacher (President and CEO)|
|Products||Auto, Home and Condo, Renters, Umbrella and Specialty Insurance|
Number of employees
|Parent||American Family Insurance|
Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance is an insurance company based in suburban Green Bay, Wisconsin. The company sells auto, home, condo, renters, umbrella (personal liability) and travel insurance. Insurance is underwritten by IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company and Ameriprise Insurance Company, each a wholly owned subsidiary of American Family Insurance Mutual Holding Company. They also partner with various specialty insurance providers to offer coverage for items such as watercraft, ATVs, recreational vehicles and motorcycles. Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance is an affinity marketer, relying almost entirely on strategic partnerships to reach customers. Partners include Costco Wholesale, and Ameriprise Financial. As of December 2012, Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance had more than 700,000 policies in force and generated more than $800 million in net written premium.
In 1894, John Tappan founded Investors Syndicate in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and it was renamed in 1949 as Investors Diversified Services, Inc. (IDS). American Express Company acquired IDS in 1984 and renamed it American Express Financial Corporation. They acquired Wisconsin Employers Casualty Company of Green Bay in 1986, renamed it IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company, and relaunched it the following year with 25 employees.
1986 – American Express Financial Corporation acquired Wisconsin Employers Casualty Company of Green Bay and renamed it IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company.
1987 – IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company begins selling auto, home and personal liability umbrella insurance in Wisconsin.
1988 – The company expands its coverage area to include Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa and Ohio.
1999 – The company is actively selling insurance products in 35 states.
2000 – The company moves to a new headquarters in De Pere, Wisconsin.
2005 – Ameriprise Financial, Inc., becomes an independent, publicly owned company. IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company begins doing business as Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance. IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company remains the underwriting company, paired with the newly developed underwriting company Ameriprise Insurance Company. That same year, the company also opened its second office in Phoenix, Arizona. 2012 – Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance opens a third location in Las Vegas, Nevada.
2019 - On October 1, 2019, American Family Insurance closed on the purchase of IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company from Ameriprise Financial.
Today[when?] – Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance has more than 1,200 employees and offers insurance products in 43 states.
Awards and certifications
- Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce. "30 Largest Private Employers in the Green Bay Area." Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce. Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce, n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2013. < http://www.titletown.org/media/211175/factbook_bn_2012.pdf> Archived September 1, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- "BBB Business Review." Better Business Bureau. Better Business Bureau, 28 Dec. 2012. Web. 21 Mar. 2013. <http://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/insurance-companies/ameriprise-auto-home-insurance-in-de-pere-wi-9001116/>.
- Haire, Thomas. "Cover Story: Doing Direct Differently." Response Magazine. Response Magazine, 1 Mar. 2013. Web. 13 June 2013. <http://www.responsemagazine.com/direct-response-marketing/cover-story-doing-direct-differently-5111>.
- Annual Statement: For the Year Ended December 31, 2012. Rep. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Current Statutory Statements. Ameriprise Financial. Web. 29 Aug. 2013. <http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=191716&p=irol-reportsOther[permanent dead link]>.
- Lipartito, Kenneth, and Carol Heher. Peters. Investing for Middle America: John Elliott Tappan and the Origins of American Express Financial Advisors. New York: Palgrave, 2001.
- A.M. Best. "Best's Credit Ratings." Best's Credit Ratings. A.M. Best Company, Inc., n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2013. <http://www3.ambest.com/ratings/entities/SearchResults.aspx?SR=1> Archived September 1, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Property Casualty Ward's 50® Companies - 2012." Property Casualty Ward's 50® Companies. Ward Group, n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2013. <http://www.wardinc.com/wards50/property-casualty.php>.