Annales de chimie et de physique
Annales de chimie et de physique (French for Annals of Chemistry and Physics) is a scientific journal that was founded in Paris, France, in 1789 under the title Annales de chimie. One of the early editors was the French chemist Antoine Lavoisier. In 1815, it became the Annales de chimie et de physique, and was published under that name for the next 100 years.
In 1914, it split into two successor journals. The first one, Annales de physique, was still being published by EDP Sciences under the same name up to 2009, when it became integrated in the EPJ Series as the European Physical Journal H - Historical Perspectives on Contemporary Physics. The second successor, Annales de chimie, later became Annales de chimie - science des matériaux in 1978; from 1998 to 2004, it was published online by Elsevier, and since 2004, it has been managed online by the Lavoisier publishing company. Despite the name changes, the volume numbering maintained continuity between the different titles, both for the physics journal and the chemistry journal.
- University of Oslo list of periodicals - includes listings for:
- Annales de chimie - 1789–1800, 1914–1977
- Annales de chimie et de physique - 1816–1913
- Annales de chimie - science des matériaux - 1978–1998
- Royal Society of Chemistry list of periodicals - includes listings for:
- Annales de Chimie - Science des Matériaux 1789–1815;1914–2004, vols 1–96, 1–29
- Annales de Chimie et de Physique 1816–1913, series –.
- National Library of Australia: entry for Annales de chimie - science des matériaux (1978–present)
- National Library of Australia: entry for Annales de physique (1914–present)
Sources and further reading
- Early history (in French), sourced from: Dictionnaire des journaux (1600–1789) sous la direction de Jean SGARD. Paris, Universitas, 1991. (Notice A.-M. CHOUILLET)
- The Development of Modern Chemistry, pp. 273, in the chapter 'The Diffusion of Chemical Knowledge', Aaron John Ihde, Courier Dover Publications, 1984
- In the Shadow of Lavoisier: The 'Annales de Chimie' and the Establishment of a New Science. Maurice Crosland. 1994