Anthony Morgan of Kilflgin
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (November 2014)
Morgan was the son of Sir William Morgan, of Tredegar, Monmouthshire, and Bridget, daughter and heiress of Anthony Morgan of Heyford, Northamptonshire. He seems identical with the Anthony Morgan who was appointed by the Spanish ambassador Cardenas, on 9 June 1640, to levy and transport the residue of the two thousand soldiers afforded to him by King Charles I.
On 21 October 1642 Morgan was knighted by Charles at Southam, Warwickshire, and two days later fought at the Battle of Edgehill. By the death of his half-brother, Colonel Thomas Morgan, who was killed at the Battle of Newbury 20 September 1643, he became possessed of the manors of Heyford and Clasthorpe, Northamptonshire; and had other property in Momouthshire, Warwickshire, and Westmoreland. He subsequently went abroad, but returned in 1648, when, though his estates were sequestered by the parliament by an ordinance dated 5 January 1646, he imprisoned several of his tenants in Banbury Castle for not paying their rent to him.
Morgan tried to compound for his property in May 1650, and took the covenent and negative oath, but being represented as a "papist delinquent", he was unable to make terms with the Committee for Compounding with Delinquents. In August 1658 he obtained leave to pay a visit to France.
One Anthony Morgan was ordered to be arrested and brought before Secretary Bennet on 5 June 1663, and his papers were seized. He died in St. Giles-in-the-Fields, London, about June 1665, leaving by his wife Elizabeth (Fromond?) an only daughter, Mary.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 states that in his will (P. C. C., 64, Hyde) Morgan describes himself as of Kilflgin, Monmouthshire.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 cites Baker, Northamptonshire, i. 184.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 cites Hist. MSS. Comm. llth Rep. pt. vii. p. 241.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 cites Lands. MS. 870, f. 70.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 cites Cal. of Proc. of Comm. for Advance of Money, ii. 893.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 cites Cal. of Comm. for Compounding, pt. iii. p. 1898.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 cites Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1658-9, p. 579.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 cites (ib. 1663-4, p. 163.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13 cites Probate Act Book, P. C. C.
- Goodwin 1894, p. 13.