This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Anthony W. Ulwick
|Occupation||Founder and CEO of Strategyn, LLC.|
|Known for||Outcome-Driven Innovation|
Ulwick began working on innovation strategies in 1980 while working at IBM. In January 2002, Harvard Business Review published Ulwick’s article “Turn Customer Input into Innovation,” which outlined Ulwick’s innovation concept of “outcomes that customers are seeking” that encourages companies to develop products to fulfill what their customers are trying to accomplish.
The Outcome-Driven Innovation (ODI) method outlined in the Harvard Business Review received Harvard Business Review’s distinction as one of the seven best “breakthrough ideas for today’s business agenda” in 2002.
In 2005, Ulwick explained his theory in the book “What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services”.
In October 2016, Ulwick released a second book - “Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice”.
Ulwick founded the innovation consultancy Strategyn in 1991. Today the firm has offices in the United States, Europe, and Australia. Strategyn has worked with corporations including Bosch, Colgate-Palmolive, Hewlett-Packard, Ingersoll Rand, Johnson & Johnson, Kimberly-Clark, Microsoft, and Motorola to implement ODI. The results of a 2010 innovation track record study indicate that 86% of the projects using Strategyn’s innovation methodology were rated as successful by the sponsoring company.
Ulwick is the author of the following publications:
- What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services (Aug 16, 2005)
- Business Strategy Formulation: Theory, Process, and the Intellectual Revolution (Oct 30, 1999)
- Ofrezca A Sus Clientes Lo Que Desea (Spanish Edition) (May 12, 2006)
- The Customer-Centered Innovation Map by Lance A. Bettencourt and Anthony W. Ulwick (Mar 3, 2009)
- Turn Customer Input into Innovation (HBR OnPoint Enhanced Edition) (Mar 3, 2009)
- Customer-Driven Innovation (HBR Article Collection) by Lance A. Bettencourt, Anthony W. Ulwick, Clayton M. Christensen and Scott Cook (Mar 3, 2009)
- Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice (Oct 16, 2016)
- "Strategyn website About Us page." Accessed Aug. 16, 2013
- Christensen, Clayton M. and Michael E. Raynor. "Excerpt of 'The Innovator's Solution.' USA Today. Nov. 11, 2003
- "2002 HBR List: Breakthrough Ideas for Today's Business Agenda." Harvard Business Review. March 1, 2002
- Ulwick, Anthony. “What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services” Aug. 16, 2005. ISBN 0071408673
- Ulwick, Anthony. “Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice” October, 2016. ISBN 9780990576754
- "Strategyn." Archived August 31, 2012, at the Wayback Machine Innovation Excellence. Accessed Aug. 16, 2013
- Fahn Kanne & Co."Incentives Department."[permanent dead link] Grant Thornton Israel. 2013
- "Innovation Track Record Study." Strategyn website. Our Results. Accessed Aug. 16, 2013
- "Anthony W. Ulwick." Amazon author page. Accessed Aug. 16, 2013