Atomic Rulers of the World
|Atomic Rulers of the World|
Alpha Video DVD cover art
|Directed by||Koreyoshi Akasaka
|Distributed by||Walter Manley Enterprises Inc.|
|83 minutes (USA)|
Atomic Rulers of the World (or just Atomic Rulers) is a 1964 film edited together for American television from films #1 and #2 of the Japanese short film series Super Giant. The work is currently in the public domain.
The story involves the superhero Starman (Super Giant in Japan) who is sent by the Emerald Planet to protect Earth from the nuclear holocaust threatened by the country of Metropol.
- Ken Utsui as Super Giant aka Starman
- Reiko Seto as Reiko Okamoto
- Shōji Nakayama as Detective Okamoto
- Ryo Iwashita as Masao - Boy with Briefcase
- Noriko Katsuma as Yoshiko - Orphan Girl
- Yukihiko Ōsawa as Hiroshi - Kidnapped Boy
- Junko Ikeuchi as Sister Toshiko - Nun
- ? - Boris Zudenko (a caucasian actor)
- ? - Munta Din - Leader of Invaders (a caucasian actor)
The remainder of this cast, which has been simply transcribed from IMDb without research, is questionable due to awkward wording, characters indicated not appearing in the film, and/or actors indicated not appearing in the film.
- Minoru Takada as Father (? - only "father" in film is a priest-extra in two final shots)
- Sachihiro Ohsawa
- Minako Yamada
- Hiroshi Hayashi as Chief of Metropolitan Detectives
- Utako Mitsuya
- Chisako Hara
- Akira Tamura
- Fumiko Miyata
- Kami Ashita
- Tomohiko Ōtani as The vice-head of Atom AB (? - meaning obscure)
- Jōji Ōhara as The Member of Atom AB (? - meaning obscure)
- Terumi Hoshi
- Shinsuke Mikimoto as The Member of Atom AB (? - meaning obscure)
- Hiroshi Ayukawa as The Man in Cage (? - no such character)
The 9 Super Giant films were purchased for distribution to U.S. television and edited into 4 films by Walter Manley Enterprises and Medallion Films. The 2 original Japanese films which went into Atomic Rulers of the World (Super Giant and Super Giant Continues) were 49 minutes and 53 minutes in duration. The two films were edited into one 83-minute film. The original films were two parts of a complete story, but a total of 19 minutes was cut during the re-editing, dropping elements from both films. Also, most of the original music was scrapped and replaced by library cues. The result was a product considerably different from the Japanese originals.
Atomic Rulers of the World is currently available on two DVD releases. Something Weird Video with Image Entertainment released the film and another Starman film, Invaders from Space on a single disc on December 10, 2002. Alpha Video also released a budget-priced disc of the film by itself on June 22, 2004.
- Ragone, August. THE ORIGINAL "STARMAN": The Forgotten Supergiant of Steel Who Fought for Peace, Justice and the Japanese Way Originally published in Planet X Magazine, included in Something Weird Video's DVD release.