|Operating system||Linux, BSD, Mac OS X|
The Babel routing protocol is a distance-vector routing protocol for Internet Protocol packet-switched networks that is designed to be robust and efficient on both wireless mesh networks and wired networks.
Babel is based on the ideas in Destination-Sequenced Distance Vector routing (DSDV), Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing (AODV), and Cisco's Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), but uses different techniques for loop avoidance. Babel has provisions for using multiple dynamically computed metrics; by default, it uses hop-count on wired networks and a variant of ETX on wireless links, but can be configured to take radio diversity into account  or to automatically compute a link's latency and include it in the metric.
In October 2015, Babel was chosen as the mandatory-to-implement protocol by the IETF Homenet working group, albeit on an Experimental basis. In June 2016, an IETF working group was created whose main goal is to produce a standard version of Babel.
Four implementations of Babel are freely available:
- The standalone "reference" implementation
- A version integrated into the FRR routing suite (previously Quagga, from which Babel has been removed)
- A minimal reimplementation in Python
- An extension to the BIRD routing platform
- Baptiste Jonglez and Juliusz Chroboczek. A delay-based routing metric. https://arxiv.org/abs/1403.3488
- M. Abolhasan; B. Hagelstein; J. C.-P. Wang (2009). "Real-world performance of current proactive multi-hop mesh protocols".
- David Murray, Michael Dixon & Terry Koziniec (2010). "An Experimental Comparison of Routing Protocols in Multi Hop Ad Hoc Networks" (PDF).
- "babeld: Remove babeld from Quagga · 6WIND/quagga@336724d". GitHub. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- D. Ovsienko, " Babel HMAC Cryptographic Authentication "
- Matthieu Boutier; Juliusz Chroboczek (2015). Source-Specific Routing. Proc. IFIP Networking. arXiv:1403.0445. Bibcode:2014arXiv1403.0445B.
- Babel – a loop-avoiding distance-vector routing protocol
- J. Chroboczek (2011), The Babel Routing Protocol RFC 6126