Baháʼí Holy Days
|Part of a series on|
The Baháʼí Faith has eleven holy days, which are important anniversaries in the history of the religion. On nine of these holy days, work is suspended. There is no fixed format for any of the holy days, and Baháʼí communities organize their own commemorative meetings.
- 1 Table of dates
- 2 Holy days
- 2.1 General holy days
- 2.2 Holy days associated with the Báb
- 2.3 Holy days associated with Baháʼu'lláh
- 2.4 Holy days associated with ʻAbdu'l-Bahá
- 2.5 Twin Holy Birthdays
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 Further reading
- 6 External links
Table of dates
|Name||Date on the Badíʻ Calendar||Number of Days after Naw-Rúz||Usual date on the Gregorian Calendar
Naw-Rúz 20 March/Naw-Rúz 21 March
|Special time of celebration or commemoration||Work Suspended|
|Naw-Rúz (Baháʼí New Year)||Bahá 1||March 20/21||-||Yes|
|First day of Riḍván||Jalál 13||31||April 20/21||3 p.m. (Standard Time)||Yes|
|Ninth day of Riḍván||Jamál 2||39||April 28/29||-||Yes|
|Twelfth day of Riḍván||Jamál 5||42||May 1/2||-||Yes|
|Declaration of the Báb||ʻAẓamat 8||64||May 23/24||2 hours after sunset on preceding day||Yes|
|Ascension of Baháʼu'lláh||ʻAẓamat 13||69||May 28/29||3 a.m. (Standard Time)||Yes|
|Martyrdom of the Báb||Raḥmat 17||111||July 9/10||12 noon||Yes|
|Birth of the Báb||First of the Twin Holy Birthdays; celebrated on the first day after the eighth new moon following Naw-Rúz (mid-October to mid-November)||-||Yes|
|Birth of Baháʼu'lláh||Second of the Twin Holy Birthdays; celebrated on the second day after the eighth new moon following Naw-Rúz (mid-October to mid-November)||-||Yes|
|Day of the Covenant||Qawl 4||250||November 25/26||-||No|
|Ascension of ʻAbdu'l-Bahá||Qawl 6||252||November 27/28||1 a.m. (Standard Time)||No|
|Naw-Rúz (Baháʼí New Year)||March 21|
|First day of Riḍván||April 21|
|Ninth day of Riḍván||April 29|
|Twelfth day of Riḍván||May 2|
|Declaration of the Báb||May 24|
|Ascension of Baháʼu'lláh||May 29|
|Martyrdom of the Báb||July 10|
|Birth of the Báb||October 20|
|Birth of Baháʼu'lláh||November 12|
|Day of the Covenant||November 26|
|Ascension of ʻAbdu'l-Bahá||November 28|
General holy days
Annually on Bahá 1. See Naw-Rúz
The Birth of the Báb
Declaration of the Báb
Annually on ʻAẓamat 8. See Declaration of the Bab to Mullá Husayn
Martyrdom of the Báb
Annually on Raḥmat 17. See Martyrdom of the Báb
Holy days associated with Baháʼu'lláh
The Birth of Baha'u'llah
Festival of Ridván
The Festival of Ridván, a twelve-day festival that commemorates Baháʼu'lláh's announcement to be the Manifestation of God, is the most holy Baháʼí festival to which Baháʼu'lláh referred as the "Most Great Festival." The first, ninth and twelfth days of the festival are celebrated as holy days.
Annually on Jalál 13, Jamál 2 and Jamál 5.
See Festival of Ridván.
Ascension of Baháʼu'lláh
Annually on ʻAẓamat 13.
Holy days associated with ʻAbdu'l-Bahá
On these two holy days, the suspension of work is not required.
Day of the Covenant
Annually on Qawl 4. See Day of the Covenant
Ascension of ʻAbdu'l-Bahá
Annually on Qawl 6. See Ascension of ʻAbdu'l-Bahá
Twin Holy Birthdays
The Twin Holy Birthdays of the Báb and Baháʼu'lláh are celebrated on the first and second day following the eighth new moon after Naw-Rúz. (In the Islamic lunar calendar, the births of the Báb and Baháʼu'lláh fell on consecutive days - the first and second day of Muharram, respectively, two years apart.)
- National Spiritual Assembly of the United States (2006-03-05). "The Badi Calendar" (PDF). bahai.us. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 September 2006. Retrieved 2006-09-23.
- Smith, Peter (2000). "holy days". A concise encyclopedia of the Baháʼí Faith. Oxford: Oneworld Publications. pp. 182–183. ISBN 1-85168-184-1.
- The Universal House of Justice (2014-07-10). "To the Baháʼís of the World". Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Walbridge, John (2003-10-02). "Ridvan". Retrieved 2006-09-23.
- Momen, Moojan (2014). The Badíʻ (Baháʼí) Calendar: An Introduction.
- Taherzadeh, Adib (1987). The Revelation of Baháʼu'lláh, Volume 4: Mazra'ih & Bahji 1877-92. Oxford, UK: George Ronald. p. 334. ISBN 0-85398-270-8.
- Baháʼí World Centre (2017). Days of Remembrance - Selections from the Writings of Baháʼu'lláh for Baháʼí Holy Days.