Diana Neave, Baroness Airey of Abingdon
Diana Josceline Barbara Neave, Baroness Airey of Abingdon (7 July 1919 – 27 November 1992), born Diana Josceline Barbara Giffard, was a Conservative member of the House of Lords after receiving a life peerage in August 1979.
Diana Giffard was daughter of Thomas Arthur Walter Giffard, MBE, DL for Staffordshire, of Chillington Hall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire and his wife Angela Erskine Trollope, elder daughter and co-heiress of Sir William Henry Trollope, 10th Bt. She married Airey Neave (23 January 1916 – 30 March 1979), elder son and first child of Sheffield Airey Neave, himself a grandson of Sir Thomas Neave, 2nd Baronet, of the Neave baronets, and his first wife Dorothy Middleton, on 29 December 1942. They had three children:
- Hon. Marigold Elizabeth Cassandra Neave, now Hon. Mrs William Webb (born 5 May 1944); married 8 June 1968 William Richard Broughton Webb, son of Lt.-Cdr. William Frank Broughton Webb, and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Hon. Richard Patrick Sheffield Neave (born 12 Nov 1947); married 1980 Elizabeth Mary Catherine Riddell, daughter of Cuthbert Edward Alphonso Riddell, and had issue, three sons, whose common second last name is Airey.
- Hon. William Robert Sheffield Neave (born 13 Aug 1953); married 1986 Joanna Mary Stuart Paton, daughter of James Stuart Paton, and has issue, two sons, Richard Digby Stuart Neave (born 21 May 1987); Sebastian Airey Stuart Neave (born 11 May 1989).
Diana Neave was created Baroness Airey of Abingdon, of Abingdon in the County of Oxford on 6 August 1979, a few months after her husband was killed, as she was the widow of Airey Neave, a British Conservative MP for Abingdon and a prominent politician. He was killed when a mercury-tilt based car bomb exploded under his car as he drove out of the Palace of Westminster car park. The Irish National Liberation Army (INLA) claimed responsibility for his murder.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
- Cosgrave, Patrick (1 Dec 1992). "Obituary: Baroness Airey of Abingdon - People - News - The Independent". The Independent. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "House of Lords (Hansard, 23 July 1987)". Hansard. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Thomas Arthur Walter Giffard". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]
- Lundy, Darryl. "Sir Thomas Neave, 2nd Baronet". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]