Bellamy's People title card
|Also known as||'Bellamy's People of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'|
|Directed by||Charlie Higson
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
Ali Bryer Carron
|Running time||30 minutes|
Down the Line Productions
|Original network||BBC Two|
|Original release||21 January– 11 March 2010|
Bellamy's People, also known as Bellamy's People of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, is a British comedy show first broadcast on BBC Two as an eight episode series. The show is a spin-off from the BBC Radio 4 show Down the Line. The show stars Rhys Thomas as the eponymous Gary Bellamy and features Charlie Higson, Paul Whitehouse, Simon Day, Felix Dexter, Amelia Bullmore, Lucy Montgomery, Adil Ray and Robert Popper as a host of characters.
Down the Line is a spoof radio chat show broadcast on BBC Radio 4 between 2006 and 2013 which satirises populist radio phone in shows. Following its success, writers Higson and Whitehouse looked to transfer the format to television; however, it was apparent that the phone-in format would not work, so they decided instead to satirise the celebrity travelogue such as David Dimbleby's How We Built Britain and Alan Titchmarsh's British Isles – A Natural History. In the television programme, radio talk show host Gary Bellamy travels around Britain in his Triumph Stag 'personality vehicle' meeting the people of Britain and trying to find out what makes them tick. The show's working title was Bellamy's Kingdom.
On 13 May 2010, the BBC announced that they would not be commissioning a second series of Bellamy's People.
In April 2010, ahead of the UK General Election, the self-styled community leader Mr Khan (Adil Ray) began broadcasting his own comedy videos commenting on the election, the main political parties, and UK politics in general. Khan was subsequently given his own comedy sitcom, Citizen Khan, which was broadcast first in August 2012.
- "Bellamy's People - The Celebrity Road Trip Gets Skewered". London: Independent.co.uk. 15 January 2010. Archived from the original on 19 January 2010. Retrieved 20 January 2010.
- Smith, Emma (2 December 2007). "On the move:Paul Whitehouse and Charlie Higson". London: Times.co.uk. Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- "BBC - Paul Whitehouse back in character for TV series". BBC News. 18 January 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- "BBC2 cancels Bellamy's People". British Comedy Guide. 13 May 2010. Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- Deans, Jason (25 January 2010). "TV ratings: 1.2m join Bellamy's People". guardian.co.uk. London: Guardian Media Group. Archived from the original on 29 January 2010. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- Tryhorn, Chris (29 January 2010). "TV ratings: Skins storms back with nearly 1 million viewers". guardian.co.uk. London: Guardian Media Group. Archived from the original on 2 February 2010. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- "BBC Comedy: Mr Kahn". bbc.co.uk. Archived from the original on 25 April 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2010.