|Berjaya Group Berhad|
|Traded as||MYX: 3395|
|Industry||Conglomerate (Consumer Marketing, Property Development & Investment, Hotels & Resorts and Recreation Development, Gaming & Lottery Management, Food and Beverage, Environmental Services & Clean Technology, Motor Trading & Distribution, and Telecommunications and information technology-related services & products.)|
|Founder||Vincent Tan (Founder and Executive Chairman)|
|Headquarters||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Dato' Sri Robin Tan (Chief Executive Officer)|
Number of employees
Berjaya Corporation Berhad (MYX: 3395; formerly known as the Berjaya Group Berhad, Inter-Pacific Industrial Group Berhad and Raleigh Berhad) is a Malaysia-based corporation which controls a wide array of businesses, including consumer marketing, property development and investment, as well as hotels, resorts and recreation development. It also specialises in gaming and lottery management, food and beverage, motor trading and distribution, investment on environmental services and clean technology, finally telecommunication and information technology-related services and products.
In the year 1984, the company's sole founder, Vincent Tan, acquired a significant controlling stake in the Berjaya Industrial Berhad (formerly known as Berjaya Kawat Berhad and now known as Reka Pacific Berhad) from the founders from Broken Hill, Australia and National Iron & Steel Mills, Singapore. The shareholding change also resulted in a major change in the business, direction and the dynamic growth of a diversified conglomerate under the flagship of Berjaya Corporation Berhad.
In 1988, following a major restructuring, Berjaya Group Berhad became the holding company of Reka Pacific Berhad.
Inter-Pacific Industrial Group Berhad (formerly known as Raleigh Berhad) was founded in 1967 as a manufacturer of bicycles. In 1969, the organisation gained official listing on Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad.
Berjaya Corporation Berhad assumed the listing status of Berjaya Group Berhad on the Main Board of Bursa Securities upon the completion of the group restructuring exercise in 2005 and the listing of new shares the year after.
Below are the listed subsidiaries under Berjaya Corporation Berhad:
- Berjaya Land Berhad
- Berjaya Sports Toto Berhad
- Berjaya Food Berhad (including Pappa Richi brand)
- REDtone International Berhad
- Berjaya Philippines Inc.
Other assets include:
- Ownership of Cardiff City Football Club
- Ownership of FK Sarajevo
- Co-Ownership and directorship of Los Angeles FC
- Ownership of K.V. Kortrijk
Corporate Social Responsibility
The Better Malaysia Foundation (BMF) is a subsidiary of the corporate social responsibility program developed by the Berjaya. Chairman of Berjaya Bhd, Vincent Tan is also chairman of BMF.
In 2013, in partnership with SOLS 24/7, BMF launched Project 100 aimed at establishing 100 community centres where Malaysians would be able to have access to free education.
In 2016, the foundation donated RM1 million to over 39 charities including a RM 50,000 donation to the Generasiku Sayang Negri Selangor organisation, and the Malaysian Sikh Union, which received RM35,000. Tan also donated RM 25.6 million to the BMF via the Berjaya CSR program, earmarked for education and skills training, as well as community-based projects.
In 2017, the BMF donated RM500,000 to victims of the Penang flood.
Each year, the foundation presents the Better Malaysia Foundation Personality of the Year Award. Past winners include Madenjit Singh, founder of Science of Life Studies 24/7 in 2012, Jane Goodall in 2014, and Dharma Master Cheng Yen for humanitarian work in Malaysia through the Tzu Chi Foundation.
- "Bursa Malaysia: Berjaya Corporation Berhad". Bursa Malaysia. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Bursa Malaysia: Announcement". Bursa Malaysia. Archived from the original on 3 November 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "TheStar: Berjaya group close to completing revamp". The Star (Malaysia). 27 June 2005. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Berjaya Corporation Berhad - Tan Sri Vincent Tan's Other Businesses".
- "NGO calls for passionate individuals who want to help the poor learn English - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "BMF donates RM1m to 39 charitable organisations". www.thesundaily.my. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "Vincent Tan donates RM25.6mil via his charity foundation's CSR programme - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "Vincent Tan donates RM500,000 to help out Penang flood victims - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "Berjaya Corporation Berhad".
- "The Jane Goodall Institute" (PDF).
- "Goodall: Stand firm in your beliefs". www.thesundaily.my. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "Tzu Chi's Founder Awarded - Tzu Chi USA". www.tzuchi.us. Retrieved 22 October 2018.