Judge William E. "Bill" Moody has served as the presiding judge of the 34th District Court in El Paso since 1986.
Judge Moody in October 2009 announced that he will seek the Democratic Party's nomination for the Texas Supreme Court. He intends to use a blimp to travel around the state and advertise his campaign.
Judge Moody was the Democratic nominee for Place Two on the Supreme Court of Texas in the November 2006 general election. His opponent was the incumbent, Justice Don Willett. Judge Moody sought to become the first El Pasoan to be elected to statewide office in Texas as well as the only Democrat on the Court, whose current membership is all Republican. In his campaign, he walked across Texas, which drew extensive press coverage. Moody was defeated in the general election.
Moody received the endorsements of the following Texas newspapers:
- The Amarillo Globe-News
- The Austin American-Statesman
- The Austin Chronicle
- The Daily Texan
- The Dallas Morning News
- The El Paso Times
- The Fort Worth Star-Telegram
- The Houston Chronicle
- The Lufkin Daily News
- The San Antonio Express-News
- The Victoria Advocate
- The Waco Tribune-Herald"
- In addition, Judge Moody was the favored candidate of Texas lawyers in a non-partisan poll conducted by the Texas State Bar.
- http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_13511039?source=most_emailed[permanent dead link]
- Campaign website
- Reprint from UTEP Prospector
- Reprint from Houston Chronicle, September 18, 2006.
- San Antonio Express News, September 18, 2006 Archived September 29, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- El Paso Times, September 19, 2006
- List of articles at campaign website
- Amarillo Globe & News, October 15, 2006
- Austin American Statesman, October 16, 2006[permanent dead link]
- Austin Chronicle, October 20, 2006
- Reprint from The Daily Texan, October 23, 2006
- Dallas Morning News, September 12, 2006
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram, October 17, 2006[permanent dead link]
- Houston Chronicle, October 23, 2006
- Lufkin Daily News, October 19, 2006[permanent dead link]
- San Antonio Express-News, October 18, 2006 Archived March 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Victoria Advocate, October 22, 2006
- Waco Tribune-Herald, October 23, 2006
- Results of the Texas Bar 2006 Judicial Poll, February 2006