Binary Star (hip hop group)
|Origin||Pontiac, Michigan, United States|
|Genres||Alternative hip hop|
|Years active||1998–2000, 2002, 2009–2014, 2016-present|
|Members||One Be Lo|
|Past members||Senim Silla|
Binary Star is a hip-hop project by rapper One Be Lo, and formerly a duo with rapper Senim Silla. Formed in 1998, the pair met and formed the group during their time in Hiawatha Correctional Facility.
Binary Star's debut effort, Waterworld, was produced on a $500 budget and released in 1999, under the label Terrorist Records. An extensive tour of Michigan followed, as both members of the duo were on parole and were not permitted to leave the state. The purpose behind the album was to raise money for a "real album"; Masters of the Universe.
Binary Star switched to Subterraneous Records and released Masters of the Universe. This album was essentially a remixed version of Waterworld, but garnered more attention, selling 20,000 copies. However, the pair were not getting along particularly well, and, citing creative differences, Binary Star was disbanded. They reunited briefly in 2002, doing a concert together at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont, but they did not record any new material.
Binary Star got together in late 2009/early 2010 to tour; one of their stops being Salt Lake City, Utah.
The group reunited in 2012, and announced it was working on an EP, tentatively titled "Light Years Apart," which was to be a prequel to a full-length LP."
On March 29, 2013, Binary Star released its first album in over thirteen years, a self-titled EP, as a celebration of its 15th anniversary as a duo.
As of March 2014, Senim Silla is retired from music.
As of 2016, Binary Star is making music again, with four dates in May in Southern California and Colorado. They appeared in Salt Lake City, UT for the Select Sound 4/20 Weekend on April 16, 2016.
On June 2, 2017, One Be Lo released Water World 3 under the Binary Star name, their third studio album. The album featured multiple rappers to fill Senim Silla's spot including, Mahogany Jones, Mic Phelps, and Malaki. The album was produced by Decompoze, who produced most of Masters of the Universe, and OneManArmy.
- Waterworld (1999, Terrorist Records)
- Masters of the Universe (2000, Subterraneous Records)
- Binary Star EP (2013)
- Water World 3 (2017)
- Lighty / Ears Apart (2018, double album)
One Be Lo
- WaterWorld Too (2001, Subterraneous Records)
- Project: F.E.T.U.S. (2002, Subterraneous Records)
- S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M. (2005, Fat Beats/ Subterraneous Records)
- S.T.I.L.L.B.O.R.N. (2005, Trackezoids/ Subterraneous Records)
- The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. (2007, Subterraneous Records)
- L.A.B.O.R. (2011, Subterraneous Records)
- K.I.C.K. P.U.S.H. (2012, Subterraneous Records)
- The Name, The Motto, The Outcome (2007, Infinite Rhythm Network)
- The odd couplet (Metro Times Detroit)
- "Subterraneous Is A Movement". Archived from the original on 2005-09-21. Retrieved 2005-10-14.
- Schmitt, William (2012-03-22). "Binary Star Reflects On Masters Of The Universe". KevinNottingham.com. Archived from the original on 2016-10-09. Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- various artists :: Waterworld Too * N.W.W.O. :: Subterraneous Records
- Subterraneous Is A Movement Archived March 21, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- One.Be.Lo (aka OneManArmy of Binary Star) - “The Birth Of One.Be.Lo” - The Elements
- Prophetix is the Ultimate! Underground Hiphop from the ATL! - Atlanta, GA Archived October 18, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Binary Star : Binary Star EP Archived April 29, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- Senim Silla [@SillaFresh] (10 March 2014). "#FOREALLYSHOW #SenimSilla #RudeJude #BinaryStar #Shade45 #Funny #Podcast" (Tweet) – via Twitter.