Boston University West station
An inbound train at Boston University West station
|Location||Commonwealth Avenue at Amory Street|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||MBTA Bus: 57, 57A|
|Previous names||Amory Street|
|Passengers (2011 daily)||704|
Boston University West is a station on the MBTA's Green Line "B" Branch located in Boston, Massachusetts. The station is located on Commonwealth Avenue near Amory Street, just to the west of the BU Bridge. Boston University West consists of two side platforms, which serve the "B" Branch's two tracks.
As part of the MBTA's Arts on the Line program, six new station signs were put up in 2010 featuring illustrations by BU College of Fine Arts graduate Andy Bell. Previously, in 2006, the signs had featured "Open Space", an exhibition of cloudscapes by undergraduate Seth Gadsden. Both installations were collaborations between the MBTA and the Boston University College of Fine Arts, which is located adjacent to the station.
In October 2014, the MBTA began holding meetings for a proposal to consolidate four stops - Boston University West, St. Paul Street, Pleasant Street, and Babcock Street - located near Boston University's West Campus. The four stops, which are not handicapped accessible, would be turned into two fully accessible stops as part of a planned redesign of Commonwealth Avenue between the BU Bridge and Packard's Corner. Boston University West and St. Paul Street would be consolidated into one station in the block between Amory Street and St. Paul Street.
Work was delayed by the need to complete other roadwork on Commonwealth Avenue. As of December 2016[update], MassDOT expected to issue a change order in 2017 to assign station construction work to the roadwork contractor.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14th ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014.
- Vernon Doucette (1 February 2010). "Closeup: Rhett Check". BU Today. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Designed to a "T"": Art installation comes to BU West". BU Today. 24 April 2006. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Comm. Ave. Green Line Improvements Public Meeting". Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. Retrieved 2014-10-30.
- O'Rourke, John (23 October 2014). "T May Eliminate Two Green Line B Stops". BU Today. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Brelsford, Laura (December 5, 2016). "MBTA System-Wide Accessibility Initiatives: December 2016 Update" (PDF). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Department of System-Wide Accessibility. p. 22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boston University West station.|