Her Majesty's Botanist
||It has been suggested that Regius Keeper of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since July 2015.|
The office was created in 1699, and from 1768 until 1956 it was combined with the office of Regius Keeper of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, who also held the post of Regius Professor of Botany at the University of Edinburgh. Since then the office of HM Botanist has been honorary, but conferred on a serving or retired Regius Keeper.
- 1699: James Sutherland
- 1715: Dr William Arthur
- 1716: Charles Alston
- 1761: Dr John Hope 
- 1786: Daniel Rutherford MD
- 1820: Robert Graham MD
- 1845: John Hutton Balfour MD
- 1880: Alexander Dickson MD LLD
- 1888: Sir Isaac Bayley Balfour
- 1922: Prof. Sir William Wright Smith (d 1956)
- 1966: Harold Roy Fletcher (d 1978)
- 1987: Prof. Douglas Mackay Henderson
- 2010: Prof Stephen Blackmore
- The Laws of Scotland: Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia, Vol. 7 "The Crown", para 846
- Edinburgh Gazette, 28 April 1922.
- Edinburgh Gazette, 6 Jan 1967.
- Edinburgh Gazette, 5 June 1987.
- London Gazette, 10 Sep 2010.
- Holders from 1703-1820 from "Exchequer Establishment List" c.1770 (E/229/10/1) in National Archives of Scotland
- Royal Botanic Garden: A Brief History
|This Scotland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This botany article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|