Burkhard I, Count of Zollern
|Count of Zollern|
Painting of Burkhard I from Peleș Castle
|Father||Friedrich of Sülichgau|
|Mother||Irmentrud of Nellenburg|
Burkhard I, Count of Zollern (born: before 1025; killed as part of a feud in 1061) is considered the first well-documented ancestor of the Hohenzollern dynasty. Because of his name, it has been attempted to link the Hohenzollern family's descent to the medieval Burchardings family, but without success. His father may have been Friedrich, a count in the Sülichgau area (roughly corresponding to today's Tübingen district). His mother may have been Irmentrud, the daughter of Count Burkhard of Nellenburg.
In the annals of the monk Berthold of Reichenau from the year 1061, Buchardus de Zolorin and Wezil de Zolorin are mentioned. Based on this source, Burkhard was killed due to a feud. Little is known about the aforementioned persons themselves, or their possible relationship.
The next documented member of the dynasty is Friedrich I, Count of Zollern, who was probably a son or a grandson of Burkhard I.
- "Burkhard I. von Zollern ("de Zolorin")". Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Schmid, Ludwig (1862). "Geschichte der Grafen von Zollern-Hohenberg". Geschichte der Grafen von Zollern-Hohenberg. Anhang. Historisch-topographische Zusammenstellung der Grafschaft und Besitzungen des Hauses Zollern-Hohenberg. Google Book: Gebrüder Scheitlin. p. XXV. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- Schultze, Johannes; Seigel, Rudolf (1972). "Hohenzollern, Dynastengeschlecht". Neue deutsche Biographie, Bd.: 9, Hess - Hüttig, Berlin. Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Page at genealogie-mittelalter.de
- Page at Genealogie Mittelalter - Mittelalterliche Genealogie im Deutschen Reich bis zum Ende der Staufer
Burkhard I, Count of ZollernBorn: before 1025 Died: 1061
|Lord of Zollern||Succeeded by
|This article related to German royalty (1871–1919) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|