Burlap to Cashmere
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Burlap to Cashmere|
|Origin||New York, United States|
|Genres||Worldbeat, acoustic, contemporary Christian|
Burlap to Cashmere is a contemporary Christian world music band formed in the 1990s by John Philippidis and Steven Delopoulos. Their music draws heavily on folk and world music influences, especially Greek folk music.
Burlap to Cashmere was formed in the winter of 1994 by cousins John Philippidis and Steven Delopoulos. The troupe was originally a college theater show that Steven Delopoulos put together for his final exam at Marymount Manhattan college, a theater and dance college which Delopoulos attended. He later asked his then 14-year-old cousin Johnny to join him in the show, and the band was formed. Members Mike Ernest (guitar) and childhood friend Theodore Pagano (drums) followed.
In 1998 Burlap to Cashmere signed with A&M Records and released the full-length recording Anybody Out There? followed by an A&M re-release of Live at the Bitter End, but the constant touring "caused Burlap to burn bright and then burn out."
In 2005, a new Burlap to Cashmere demo album was recorded. The demo was never released. While returning home from the studio, John Philippidis was nearly beaten to death in an altercation that took place subsequent to a minor motor vehicle accident.
In 2012, the band was recruited by director Brett Leonard to be the launch artist for the his musical cinema concept "PopFictionLife". The resulting full-length feature The Other Country - Starring Burlap to Cashmere was shot on the road during one of the band's tours, with subsequent filming done around Los Angeles. The movie tells the story of the band's history, along with live concert footage and recordings. The film also stars Samantha Lockwood and America's Next Top Model winner Nicole Fox.
In 2015, the band released their third album, Freedom Souls, as a digital-only release.
In 2003, Delopoulos released a criticality acclaimed solo album Me Died Blue on Universal South Records . 1000 copies of a live recording titled Live at the Bluebird, released exclusively at tour shows. Delopoulos released a second solo album in the fall of 2007 entitled "Straightjacket "
Philippidis (under the name "Johnny Philipps") has toured with band Tamarama as well as recording countless sessions including T.V. and film work.
- Live at the Bitter End (1998)
- Anybody Out There? (1998)
- Burlap to Cashmere (2011)
- From The Vault EP (2013)
- Freedom Souls (2015)
- Steven Delopoulos - Songwriter, lead vocals, guitar
- John Philippidis - Guitar, Vocals
- Theodore Pagano - Drums
- "Unlimited Music Anywhere". Rhapsody. November 14, 2013. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "Update on Burlap to Cashmere's Johnny Philippidis". Notes in the Key of Life by Cindy Swanson. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- "ROAD-RAGE HORROR. MUSICIAN IN A COMA AFTER BEATING IN B'KLYN FIGHT - SUSPECT ARRESTED". New York: Daily News. November 17, 2005. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- "Burlap To Cashmere - Music". burlaptocashmere.com.
- Official website
- Steve Delopoulos' Official Website
- Concert review
- Review of album Streams
- Burlap to Cashmere at AllMusic
- PopFictionLife Official Website