Calvin de Haan
|Calvin de Haan|
de Haan with the New York Islanders in January 2015
May 9, 1991 |
Carp, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)|
|NHL team||New York Islanders|
|NHL Draft||12th overall, 2009
New York Islanders
Calvin de Haan (born May 9, 1991) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected 12th overall by the Islanders during the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
de Haan was drafted by the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) in the third round, 50th overall, at the 2007 OHL Priority Selection. Prior to joining the Generals, he played one season with the Kemptville 73's of the Central Junior A Hockey League. He was named the Rookie of the Year in the 2007–08 season after scoring 42 points in 58 games. In his rookie season with the Generals in 2008–09, he finished second on the team in scoring with 63 points, scoring eight goals and adding 55 assists. The Generals named him their top rookie and top defenceman, while he was also selected to play in the OHL All-Star Game and the 2009 CHL Top Prospects Game.
Ranked 25th by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau heading into the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, de Haan expected to be a late first, or early second round, selection. He was eventually selected by the New York Islanders, who made a trade to acquire the 12th overall pick, which they used to draft him. de Haan played most of the 2011–12 season with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League (AHL), playing 56 games and scoring two goals with 14 assists.
de Haan made his NHL debut on December 15, 2011, in a game against the Dallas Stars which would be his only game in the league that season. He scored his first NHL goal on January 7, 2014, against Jonathan Bernier of the Toronto Maple Leafs. de Haan signed a three-year entry level deal with the Islanders in May 2010. For the beginning of the 2010–11 season, he had been reassigned to the Generals and served as their captain.
de Haan in 2010
|Competitor for Canada|
|World Junior Championships|
de Haan first represented the Canadian junior team at the 2009 IIHF World U18 Championships, scoring six assists in six games. He won a silver medal at the 2010 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, though he missed two games after suffering a head injury in a game against Switzerland. On November 29, 2010, he was named to the 2011 Canadian World Junior Team selection camp for the second time, one of only four returning members from the 2010 silver medal team. On December 19, 2010, de Haan was named an alternate captain to Ryan Ellis of the Windsor Spitfires for the 2011 Canadian junior team, along with Brayden Schenn of the Brandon Wheat Kings and Jared Cowen of the Spokane Chiefs, his fellow returnees.
Awards and honours
- Won silver medals at the 2010 and 2011 IIHF World Junior Championships
Regular season and playoffs
|2006-07||Ottawa Valley Titans||ODHA||32||4||22||26||20||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||56||2||14||16||24||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||New York Islanders||NHL||1||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||3||0||2||2||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||17||1||2||3||8||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||New York Islanders||NHL||51||3||13||16||30||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||New York Islanders||NHL||65||1||11||12||24||5||0||1||1||2|
- Panzeri, Allen (June 27, 2009). "Islanders trade up for de Haan". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "Draft prospect card – Calvin de Haan". National Hockey League. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "Calvin de Haan". Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- Staple, Arthur (December 15, 2012). "Islanders fall to Stars, drop into last place". Newsday. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- "Improving Islanders get past Maple Leafs". National Hockey League. January 7, 2014. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- "Calvin de Haan signs entry level deal". islanderspointblank. May 1, 2010. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- Beacon, Bill; Spencer, Donna (January 2, 2010). "Defenceman de Haan says hit that caused head injury was questionable". The Canadian Press. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- Calvin De Haan's player profile at Ontario Hockey League
- Calvin de Haan's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Calvin de Haan's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Calvin de Haan's player profile at NHL.com
|New York Islanders first round pick