|Single by Kelly Rowland|
|from the album Simply Deep|
|Released||February 4, 2003|
The Hit Factory
(New York City, New York)
|Kelly Rowland singles chronology|
"Can't Nobody" is an song performed by American recording artist Kelly Rowland. Penned and produced by Rich Harrison for Rowland's solo debut album Simply Deep (2002), it incorporates elements of Trouble Funk's 1982 song "Let's Get Small", written by band members Robert "Syke Dyke" Reed and Tony Fisher.
The song was released as the album's third single in February 2003 and although it widely failed to match the success of its predecessors "Stole" and "Dilemma", "Can't Nobody" reached the top-five in the United Kingdom, as well as the top-twenty in Australia, Denmark, the Netherlands and Ireland.
Background and composition
"Can't Nobody" was the first song producer and songwriter Rich Harrison worked on through his deal with Sony Music Entertainment and the first song ever finished with a Destiny's Child member. In contrast to his own production style and major parts of Simply Deep – which generally featured mid-tempo tracks and wide influences by pop and rock music – the track includes a beat driven but poppy and radio-friendly instrumental, involving elements from "Let's Get Small", a song written by Robert Reed and Tony Fisher and performed by Trouble Funk.
In the lyrics, Rowland describes an infatuation as she tries to convince the object of desire of her charms and advantages, singing lines such as: "I'm so real, so soft to touch, my love my kiss so sweet, glorious ..."
Even though Rowland didn't perform the single during official promo appearances and the video received minor airplay only, "Can't Nobody" did comparatively well on the charts. In Europe and Australia the single once again saw success, entering the top ten on the majority of the charts it appeared on, reaching number five on the UK Singles Chart and top twenty on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart. The single became Rowland's ninth best selling solo single in the United Kingdom as of November 2011. In the United States, the song received little commercial response, when it debuted and peaked at number ninety-seven on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number seventy-two on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs.
The video was directed by Benny Boom and was shot in January 2003 at night. Rowland is waiting outside of the nightclub Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles for her love interest, who is surprising her with tickets for the club.
The music video is available on the European maxi-single as an enhanced video element as well as on the Japanese edition of the DVD Destiny's Child World Tour and the 2004 Wal-Mart exclusive limited Destiny's Child's DVD titled "Fan Pack".
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single-releases of "Can't Nobody."
Credits and personnel
- Kelly Rowland – vocals
- Rich Harrison – writing, production, instruments
- Paul Falcone – recording
- Dan Milazzo – recording assistance
- Tony Maserati – mixing
- Dan Milazzo – mixing assistance
- Matt Snedeckor – mixing assistance
- Liz Graner – project coordination
Charts and certifications
|United States||February 4, 2003|
|Worldwide||March 18, 2003||Sony Music|
|United Kingdom||May 26, 2003|
- Taken from the videocountdown "Kelly Rowland's Official Top 10", broadcast December 10, 2011 on MTV Music UK (http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/x-factor/kelly-rowland%E2%80%99s-official-top-10-coming-to-mtv & http://www.theofficialcharts.com/our-partners/)
- "Tommy2.net". Tommy2.net. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- "Home | Sony Music Entertainment". Sonymusic.com.au. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- "Australian-charts.com – Kelly Rowland – Can't Nobody". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Kelly Rowland – Can't Nobody" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Kelly Rowland – Can't Nobody" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Danishcharts.com – Kelly Rowland – Can't Nobody". Tracklisten.
- "Chart Track: Week 18, 2003". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Musicline.de – Rowland,Kelly Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Kelly Rowland – Can't Nobody" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Kelly Rowland – Can't Nobody". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart: 2003-05-04". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Swisscharts.com – Kelly Rowland – Can't Nobody". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Kelly Rowland: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
- "Kelly Rowland – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Kelly Rowland.
- "Kelly Rowland – Chart history" Billboard Pop Songs for Kelly Rowland.
- "Kelly Rowland – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Kelly Rowland.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2003 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on 25 January 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2013.