Catherine Alexandra McBride, (formerly McBride-Chang), is a professor of developmental psychology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong specializing in the acquisition of early literacy skills. She received her BA in Psychology from Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio. She received her MA in 1992 and PhD in 1994 from the University of Southern California, and completed a post-doctoral fellowship at Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL. She has had two books published, Children's Literacy Development and Reading Development in Chinese Children. She is currently the Past-President of the Society for the Scientific Study of Reading (SSSR).
McBride has served as an associate editor for four journals and authored or coauthored nearly 200 journal articles. She has also given talks on her work in China, Korea, India, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, Germany, Canada, Australia, and the United States. She takes a cross-cultural and developmental approach to literacy learning, having published articles on learning to read and to write in many different cultures, languages, and orthographies, including Spanish, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Korean, and English. She is interested in many constructs believed to be central for learning to read and to write, including segmental and suprasegmental phonological sensitivity, morphological awareness, visual-orthographic skills, visual-motor skills, memory, and fluency. She is currently president of a new society focused on understanding literacy expertise, development, and impairment in Asia, called the Association for Reading and Writing in Asia.
- McBride-Chang, C. & Chen, H.C. (2003). Reading Development in Chinese Children. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishing, ISBN 0897898095
- McBride-Chang, C. (2004). Children's Literacy Development. London: Routledge, ISBN 0340808004
- McBride, C. (2015). Children's Literacy Development: A Cross-cultural Perspective on Learning to Read and Write. London: Routledge, ISBN 1848722877
- McBride-Chang, C., Cho, J.-R., Liu, H., Wagner, R. K., Shu, H., Zhou, A., Cheuk, C. S.-M., & Muse, A. (2005). "Changing models across cultures: Associations of phonological and morphological awareness to reading in Beijing, Hong Kong, Korea, and America". Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 92, 140-160.
- Chow, B. W.-Y., McBride-Chang, C., & Burgess, S. (2005) "Phonological processing skills and early reading abilities in Hong Kong Chinese kindergartners learning to read English as a second language". Journal of Educational Psychology, 97, 81-87.
- Chiu, M. M., Chow, B. W.-Y., & McBride-Chang, C. (2007). "Universals and specifics in learning strategies: Explaining adolescent achievement in mathematics, science, and reading across 34 countries". Learning and Individual Differences, 17, 344-365.
- Ip, H. M., Cheung, S. K., Chang, L., & McBride-Chang, C. (2008). "Associations of parenting styles of Filipina domestic helpers and mothers with Hong Kong kindergarten children’s social competence". Early Education and Development, 19, 284-301.
- McBride-Chang, C., Lam, F., Lam, C., Doo, S., Wong, S. W. L., & Chow, Y. Y. Y. (2008). "Word recognition and cognitive profiles of Chinese pre-school children at-risk for dyslexia through language delay or familial history of dyslexia". Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 49, 211-218.
- Chow, B. W.-Y., McBride-Chang, C., & Cheung, H. (2008). "Dialogic reading and morphology training in Chinese children: Effects on language and literacy". Developmental Psychology, 44, 233-244.
- "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Department of Psychology, Chinese University of Hong Kong.[permanent dead link]
- "McBride-Chang Catherine Alexandra". Department of Psychology, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- "Past-President: Catherine McBride". Society for the Scientific Study of Reading. 2014-12-16. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
|This biography of an American psychologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|