Century High School (Sykesville, Maryland)
|Century High School|
355 Ronsdale Road
|Motto||Knights never quit.|
|School district||Carroll County Public Schools|
|Category||Public School Grade (9-12)|
|Campus||67.8 acres (274,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Emerald Green, Gold, Black and White|
|National ranking||National Blue Ribbon School|
|Website||Century High School|
Century High School Sign
Century High School is located in Eldersburg, Maryland within the Carroll County Public School District. The school was built in 2000/2001 on 65 acres (260,000 m2) of land and cost $21.2 million to complete. The building is 204,161 square feet (18,967.2 m2) in size.
Century High School currently has an academic team and regularly participates in the local TV show, It's Academic.
The drama club at Century High School performed Beauty and the Beast as their 2007 musical, the first school in the county to do so. In the past, they have done The Sound of Music, Guys and Dolls, The Diary of Anne Frank, Annie, The Mouse That Roared, Winnie the Pooh, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Romeo and Juliet, It's A Wonderful Life, Cinderella, Little Women, Treasure Island, Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods, “Newsies”, and “White Christmas”. In 2016, Century placed 2nd in the state at the International Thespian Society's Maryland State Festival with their performance of The Miracle Worker. CHS was the first school in Carroll County to have an outdoor theater for the school's Rude Mechanicals to perform on. The Rude Mechanicals is an acting troupe, named after the clowns in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. They perform Shakespeare skits both at Century and throughout the community.
Their rival football team is Liberty High School.
- 2002 - Girls Soccer, Class 2A
- 2003 - Girls Soccer, Class 2A
- 2003 - Boys Soccer
- 2004 - Girls Lacrosse
- 2006 - Girls Lacrosse
- 2007 - Girls Lacrosse
- 2009 - Girls Lacrosse
- 2009 - Girls Cross Country
- 2010 - Girls Indoor Track
- 2010 - Girls Lacrosse
- 2010 - Girls Cross Country
- 2011 - Girls Indoor Track
- 2011 - Boys Indoor Track
- 2011 - Girls Cross Country
- 2012 - Boys Indoor Track
- 2013 - Boys Outdoor Track
- 2013 - Girls Soccer, Class 2A
- 2013 - Girls Field Hockey
- 2015 - Boys Outdoor Track
- 2015 - Girls Lacrosse
- 2017 - Boys Outdoor Track
- 2017 - Girls Lacrosse 2017 Baseball County champions
- 2018 - Boys Baseball
- 2019 - Varsity Drama
- 2019 - Boys Soccer
In the news
According to www.newsweek.com, Century High School was ranked 829 out of 1300 in Newsweek Magazine's top 1300 schools in the United States. These schools are the top 5% of schools in the country.
The student population at Century High School has been steadily rising over the past several years. Although, in the first year of its existence, only 9th and 10th graders attended the school. The second year of its existence, 9th, 10th, and 11th graders attended. It was not until autumn of 2003 that all four grade levels attended.
- "Maryland Property Database". Archived from the original on 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- MPSSAA Girls Soccer Archived March 8, 2005, at the Wayback Machine
- Century High website Archived September 19, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Maryland State Department of Education
- "Error" (PDF). www.carrollk12.org. Retrieved 2016-01-21.