Aerospace Defense Center
|Aerospace Defense Center|
|Garrison/HQ||Peterson Air Force Base|
|1979 December 1 - 1986||James E. Hill|
|(1980)||James V. Hartinger|
The Aerospace Defense Center (ADC) was a unit of the United States Air Force. It was under the command of the general that also commanded both North American Aerospace Defense Command and Aerospace Defense Command (ADCOM). The center included the Office of Astrodynamics (ADC/DO6) and the Office of History.
The center was formed as Aerospace Defense Command was being disestablished, and its other assets being transferred to Tactical Air Command (October 1, 1979) and Strategic Air Command. The Aerospace Defense Center as part of an "ad hoc working group" of personnel from Air Force Systems Command and the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force studied the 1982 proposal for "reorganization of USAF space management practices" by General Robert T. Marsh. Space Command was renamed Air Force Space Command in 1985.
After the Aerospace Defense Center was disestablished, aerospace defense history operations continued by the NORAD and USNORTHCOM Command History Office, and the Air Force Space Command Office of History. The AFSPC command historian has been Mr. George W. Bradley, III since 1992. A "Specialized Historical Document Collection" is in Peterson AFB Building 1470, and the Peterson Air and Space Museum has a library with historical Aerospace Defense documents.
- Hoots, Felix R; Roehrich, Ronald L. (31 December 1988) [December 1980]. Models for Propagation of NORAD Element Sets (PDF) (Report). Spacetrack Reports. Compiled by TS Kelso. Peterson AFB: Office of Astrodynamics, Aerospace Defense Center. Retrieved 2012-07-19. (cites "Hilton, C.G. and Kuhlman, J.R., “Mathematical Models for the Space Defense Center”, Philco-Ford Publication No. U-3871, 17—28, November 1966."
- compiled by Johnson, Mildred W. (31 December 1980) [February 1973: Cornett, Lloyd H. Jr]. A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980 (PDF). Peterson Air Force Base: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- Eldredge, Maurice C., Major-ACSC student (April 1985). A Brief History of "ADTAC": The First Five Years (PDF) (Report). Air Command and Staff College. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
On 21 September 1979, Major General John L. Piotrowski assumed the duty of Tactical Air Command Deputy Commander for Air Defense. (10:xxxi) General Piotrowski and his staff were initially stationed in the Chidlaw Building, Headquarters ADCOM, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- "ADC Historian" (1979). History of ADCOM/ADC:1 January-31 December 1979 (Report).
- Del Papa, Dr. E. Michael; Warner, Mary P. (October 1987). A Historical Chronology of the Electronic Systems Division 1947-1986 (PDF) (Report). Retrieved 2012-07-19.
- "A Moment in Time" (PDF). Space Observer. Colorado Springs Military Newspaper Group. February 10, 2005. Retrieved 2012-07-19. External link in