This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He visited Paris and Montpellier, and travelled in Italy and Germany. By appointment of Philip IV of Spain he was physician to the Brussels court. He played a significant part in the controversy of the 1650s over Peruvian bark in treating malaria, publishing a sceptical pamphlet Pulvis Febrifugus Orbis Americani in 1653 after treating Archduke Leopold.
At the behest of his employer, Archduke Leopold Wilhelm of Austria, who was then Governor of the Spanish Netherlands, he studied the objects which had been recovered from the tomb of Childeric I in Tournai. In 1655, Chifflet published an illustrated report on his findings entitled Anastasis Childerici I. Francorvm Regis, sive Thesavrvs Sepvlchralis Tornaci Neruiorum ... (The Resurrection of Childeric the First, King of the Franks, or the Funerary Treasure of Tournai of the Nervians). This report is today considered to be the world's first scientific archaeological publication.
He began the publication of the texts of treaties.
Chifflet's son Jules was a jurist and historian who wrote Breviarium ordinis velleris aurei (Antwerp 1652). Another son, Jean, was a priest and historian who wrote about Pope Joan. Jean-Jacques was himself the nephew of Claude Chifflet.[further explanation needed]
- Vesontio, civitas imperialis libera, Sequanorum metropolis, Leiden, 1618
- Portus lecius Julius Caesaris, 1627, (locating the Portus Lecius mentioned by Julius Caesar at Mardick)
- Blason des chevaliers de la Toison d'Or, 1632, on the Knights of the Golden Fleece
- Recueil des Traittez de Paix, Treves et Neutralité entre les couronnes d'Espagne et de France (1643)
- Pulvis Febrifugus Orbis Americani (1653) Available from Google Books (accessed 21 Feb. 2015).
- Anastasis Childerici I. Francorvm Regis, sive Thesavrvs Sepvlchralis Tornaci Neruiorum ... , 1655, from Google Books. Scanned from a volume in the collection of Biblioteca Complutense Ildefonsina.
- Political writings upholding the rights of the House of Austria and Burgundy against France
- Cinchona. U. S. Cinchona, Cinch. [Peruvian Bark, Yellow Peruvian Bark]. Cinchona Rubra, Red Cinchona. | Henriette's Herbal Homepage
- Andreas-Holger Maehle, Drugs on Trial: Experimental Pharmacology and Therapeutic Innovation in the Eighteenth Century (1999), pp. 226-9.
- Peter S. Welles, Barbarians to Angels: The Dark Ages Reconsidered (2009), p. 51.
- David C. Douglas, English Scholars (1939), p.290.
- Bouillet, Marie-Nicolas; Chassang, Alexis. Dictionnaire universel d'histoire et de géographie.[edition needed][pages needed]
- Works by or about Jean-Jacques Chifflet at Internet Archive
- Media related to Jean-Jacques Chifflet at Wikimedia Commons