Chris Baker (tight end)
|No. 81, 86|
|Date of birth:||November 18, 1979|
|Place of birth:||Queens, New York|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||258 lb (117 kg)|
|High school:||Saline (MI)|
|NFL Draft:||2002 / Round: 3 / Pick: 88|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Christopher T. "Chris" Baker (born November 18, 1979) is a former American football tight end. He was drafted by the New York Jets in the third round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He played college football at Michigan State.
He played college football at Michigan State from 1998-2001. He finished with 133 catches for 1,705 yards and 13 TD including a career best season as a Senior with 40 catches for 548 yards and 4 TD.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in||258 lb||31 1⁄2 in||9 1⁄4 in||4.87 s||1.71 s||2.82 s||4.22 s||6.95 s||35 in||9 ft 4 in||18 reps|
|All values were taken from the NFL Scouting Combine and published in scouting report.|
New York Jets
Baker was drafted by the New York Jets in the third round (88th overall) of the 2002 NFL draft. During the 2005 season, he served as the starting tight end until becoming injured and placed on the injured reserve list. Baker had a breakout season in 2006, setting career bests in receiving yards, receptions, touchdowns and starts, as the Jets finished 10-6 earning the fifth wild card spot. After a career year in 2007, Chris said the Jets promised him a new contract and lied.
Baker felt disrespected with the Jets decision to use their first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft on Dustin Keller and their acquisition of free agent Bubba Franks, which pushed Baker to third on the depth chart and made him the least paid Jets tight end, despite his productive past two seasons. The Jets finally extended Baker with a three-year, $12.2 million contract extension through 2012, but it came with an out-clause stating the Jets would owe him nothing if he cut from the team before March 5, 2009.
On February 20, 2009, Baker was released by the Jets.
New England Patriots
Baker signed a five-year contract with the New England Patriots on February 27, 2009, stating that the Patriots were the first and only team he considered signing with. On September 27, 2009, Baker caught Tom Brady's 200th career touchdown pass in the fourth quarter of the Patriots and Falcons game.
Baker was released on March 4, 2010, in a cost-cutting move.
On March 13, 2010, Baker signed a contract with the Seattle Seahawks. to serve mainly as a blocker. On January 4, 2011, the Seahawks placed Baker on IR, just four days before their Wildcard playoff game. He caught nine passes for 116 yards and a touchdown through the season.
In May 2009 Chris married his girlfriend, Yadira Taveras, in Long Island, New York. Together, they have a son, Chris Jr, and daughter Tamia.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- Baker upset over contract situation as Jets draft another tight end Archived November 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. ESPN.com, April 28, 2008
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-09-22. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-03. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- Jets Release Tight End Baker Archived February 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. SI.com, February 20, 2009
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-10. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- Ex-Jet Baker Happy to Join Rival[permanent dead link] Yahoo Sports, March 3, 2009
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2011-08-07.