Chris Smith (footballer, born 1990)
|Full name||Christopher David Smith|
|Date of birth||12 October 1990|
|Place of birth||Stoke-on-Trent, England|
|2012–2013||→ Northampton Town (loan)||0||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23:00, 28 March 2013 (UTC).
Smith came up through the youth ranks at Everton before moving to Stoke City's youth system. Upon his release from Stoke City, Smith enrolled at the University of Staffordshire to study a degree in Sports Coaching and Development, sharing his studies with playing for Non-League side Stone Dominoes.
In June 2011, along with 5,000 hopefuls, Smith entered Samsung's Win A Pro Contract competition in a bid to earn a professional deal with Swindon Town. In February 2012, Smith was chosen by then Swindon manager Paolo Di Canio as the competition winner. Di Canio said of Smith, "he looked older than his age. As a right-back he has a fantastic quality. He's not very tall but when he challenges the opponent he has balance. Also, on the ball he is very good."
Following Swindon's decision to halve its wage bill over the summer of 2013, Smith was released by the club in May 2013, with Swindon manager Kevin MacDonald saying "the wage bill that was used this season was not sustainable so we have to reduce it. It's just a shame some good footballers have had to be released."
- Chris Smith profile at the English National Football Archive (subscription required)
- "Decision time looms for Win A Pro hopefuls". Swindon Advertiser. 11 February 2012. Archived from the original on 5 May 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Smith takes an educated gamble". Swindon Advertiser. 10 March 2012. Archived from the original on 5 May 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Stone Dominoes player wins contract at Swindon Town". BBC Football Online. 20 February 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Swindon Town's Chris Smith joins Northampton Town on loan". BBC Football Online. 22 November 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Swindon Town: Simon Ferry leaves as playing budget is halved". BBC Football Online. 9 May 2013. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "Two added to squad". Kidsgrove Athletic. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Saturday's Transfer List". Evo Stik League. Retrieved 25 February 2014.