Clifford the Big Red Dog (TV series)
|Clifford the Big Red Dog|
|Created by||Norman Bridwell (characters)|
|Directed by||John Over|
|Voices of||John Ritter
|Country of origin||
United States (PBS)United Kingdom (BBC)
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||65 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Deborah Forte,
|Running time||30 Minutes (15 Minutes per segment) (approx. per episode)|
Entertainment Rights (UK)
|Original release||September 4, 2000 - February 25, 2003|
|Followed by||Clifford's Puppy Days|
Clifford the Big Red Dog is an American-British animated children's television series, based upon Norman Bridwell's famous children's book series of the same name. Produced by Scholastic Studios, it originally aired on PBS Kids from September 4, 2000 to February 25, 2003. In the United Kingdom, the show was dubbed with British voice actors, replacing the original American soundtrack.
Two 15-minute stories made up each half-hour cartoon. Usually one story featured Clifford and his canine friends, Cleo and T-Bone among them; the other story would focus on Clifford's owner Emily Elizabeth and her friends. As in other shows of its kind, during scenes focusing on the dog characters' perspective, human speech would replace barking to engage viewers in the storyline from the dogs' point of view.
Veteran actor John Ritter voiced Clifford in all episodes. This was originally done by Brent Titcomb in the series that debuted in 1988 and ran into the early 1990s. Generally speaking, his schedule dictated the production of Clifford the Big Red Dog. By the time the last of the 68 half-hour cartoons and the movie were completed, Ritter was back on ABC's prime-time schedule, starring in 8 Simple Rules. Ritter's death on September 11, 2003 came less than a week before PBS debuted Clifford's Puppy Days, a function of keeping Clifford's legacy going.
While no new Clifford episodes have been released since Ritter's death in 2003, voice actors for the main characters have reprised some of their roles for the Ready to Learn. The film Clifford's Really Big Movie serves as the series finale due to Ritter's death, as no new episodes were made to continue from where it left off.
- Clifford the Big Red Dog (voiced by John Ritter; Frank Welker in PBS Ready to Learn bumpers; Tom Eastwood in the British version): A giant red Labrador Retriever/Vizsla Hybrid. The depiction of Clifford's size is inconsistent; he is often shown as being about 25 feet tall from paws to head, but can appear far larger. The character is based on the imaginary friend of creator Norman Bridwell's wife. Clifford is devoted to his owner Emily Elizabeth. He is friendly, a little shy, lovable, loyal, gentle and helpful but sometimes gets into trouble because of his size, or is tempted into trouble by his friends and those he meets. Despite being the protagonist, he seldom has episodes focusing on him, usually serving as the voice-of-reason for his friends' misadventures.
- Cleo (voiced by Cree Summer; Regine Candler in the British version): An energetic, selfish, trouble-making purple poodle with a tendency to not tell the truth. Her catchphrase is "Have I ever steered you wrong?" which she inadvertently does immediately after. She is one of Clifford's best friends. Her owner is Mrs. Diller.
- T-Bone (voiced by Kel Mitchell; Benjamin Small in the British version): A male yellow and orange bulldog with a large appetite. He is often cowardly, clumsy, and cautious, but does have his moments of bravery. He is one of Clifford's best friends. T-Bone is in love with Mimi, another dog who visits from time to time. His owner is Sheriff Lewis.
- T-Bone had a best friend named Hamburger (voiced by Kel Mitchell's longtime comedy partner Kenan Thompson) who moved away before Clifford arrived.
- Mac (voiced by Cam Clarke): A male blue greyhound with an inflated sense of self-importance, who shifts between aloofness and wanting to be part of Clifford, Cleo, and T-Bone's circle of friends. Mac competes in dog shows. He can be vain, bossy and selfish. However, he does seem to be devoted to his owner Jetta, even more so than Clifford is to Emily Elizabeth. It is revealed in "Teacher's Pet" that his name is short for Machiavelli.
- Emily Elizabeth Howard (voiced by Grey DeLisle; Joanna Ruiz in the British version): an eight-year-old Clifford's owner. A friendly, curious, and helpful girl. The best skater on the island, and also very good at soccer. Emily Elizabeth adopted Clifford when he was a very small puppy, when her parents gave him to her on her 6th birthday. Emily's love caused Clifford to grow enormous, thus starting their new lives on Birdwell Island. Despite caring for Clifford and reading to him in every episode, she does not discipline him or command him and just lets him roam free. Emily was named for creator Norman Bridwell's daughter and based on the imaginary adventures of Bridwell's wife.
- Charley (voiced by Gary LeRoi Gray): Emily Elizabeth's best friend and the best soccer player on the Birdwell Birds (the school soccer team). He lives on a houseboat with his father, who owns a restaurant.
- Samuel (voiced by Terrence C. Carson): Charley's father and the Jamaican owner of Samuel's Fish and Chips. He is a great storyteller and runs most of the pier.
- Jetta Handover (voiced by Kath Soucie): Mac's owner. She is a wealthy, self-centered friend of Emily Elizabeth who is often oblivious to others' feelings. She is often shown leading parades and competing in talent shows as a majorette. Jetta often claims her accomplishments are bigger or better than others' and finds herself humbled when she aims too high to the point where she needs help. Her mother owns one of the island stores and seems somewhat oblivious to Jetta's behavior. She often appears to dislike Clifford, criticizing him for minor accidents caused by his size, but occasionally she will show that she really does like him.
- Cosmo Handover (voiced by Debi Derryberry) is the infant brother of Jetta first seen in the episode "And Baby Makes 4".
- Vaz (voiced by Ulysses Cuadra): Somewhat clumsy, shy, and unlucky boy who is friends with Emily Elizabeth and Charley.
- Sheriff Lewis (voiced by Nick Jameson): T-Bone's owner. The island's sheriff and the soccer coach. He feeds T-Bone often (explaining why T-Bone is overweight).
- He had a best friend named Chief Wilson who moved away with T-Bone's best buddy, Hamburger.
- Mrs. Diller (voiced by Cree Summer): Cleo's owner.
- Violet Bleakman (voiced by Edie McClurg) is the first neighbor of the Howards to introduce herself. She is a little more nice, calm, and patient than her husband Horace.
- Horace Bleakman (voiced by Earl Boen) lives with his wife Violet. He is often grumpy about the noise and mess Clifford inadvertently causes, but he is still a good neighbor and helps Clifford and the others from time to time.
- Pedro and Victor are dock workers who help unload the boat in "Welcome to Birdwell Island".
||It has been suggested that this article be split into a new article titled Clifford the Big Red Dog (1988 series). (August 2015)|
This was a direct-to-video series produced by Nelvana. Clifford was voiced by Brent Titcomb and Emily Elizabeth was voiced by Alyson Court. Each video had a 'Clifford's Fun With...' injected at the start of the title.
|VHS No.||Title||Year Produced|
|1||Clifford's Fun With Letters||1988|
|2||Clifford's Fun With Numbers||1988|
|3||Clifford's Fun With Shapes||1988|
|4||Clifford's Fun With Sounds||1988|
|5||Clifford's Fun With Rhymes||1988|
|6||Clifford's Fun With Opposites||1988|
This series was only produced by Mike Young Productions and Scholastic Studios. John Ritter voices Clifford on this series before his death in 2003. Grey DeLisle voices Emily Elizabeth. She would reprise this role in the prequel Clifford's Puppy Days.
In 2004, Warner Bros. Pictures distributed a feature-length animated film based on the show titled Clifford's Really Big Movie. It was about Clifford, Cleo, T-Bone, and Emily Elizabeth joining an animal show to win a lifetime supply of dog food to provide for Clifford. This was John Ritter's last film as he died on September 11, 2003, after completing voice work for the film. The film was dedicated to his memory. The movie also stars Wayne Brady as Shackleford the Ferret, Judge Reinhold as Amazing Larry, John Goodman as J.T Wolfsbottom, and Jenna Elfman as Dorothy the Cow. The film also serves as the series finale.
- Clifford's Reading
- Clifford's Thinking Games
- Cliffords' Learning Activities
- Cliffords' Music
- Cliffords' Phonics
- Cliffords' Big Puzzle Game (A Wendy's Kids' Meal DVD game, available for a limited time only)
^ Media and Culture, 5th ed., Richard Campbell, Christopher R. Martin and Bettina Fabos.
- Zurawik, David (July 13, 2000). "PBS gives kids new Saturday morning shows". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Clifford the Big Red Dog - Don Markstein's Toonopedia
- "The Cast of Clifford the Big Red Dog®". PBS Kids. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- "Little Clifford" 19 September 2000, 6 candles on cake
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog: Clifford's Fun with Letters (1988)". The New York Times. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog: Clifford's Fun with Numbers (1988)". The New York Times. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog: Clifford's Fun with Shapes (1988)". The New York Times. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog: Clifford's Fun with Sounds (1988)". The New York Times. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog: Clifford's Fun with Rhymes (1988)". The New York Times. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog: Clifford's Fun with Opposites (1988)". The New York Times. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- Clifford the Big Red Dog at the Internet Movie Database
- Official site of book series
- Clifford the Big Red Dog at TV.com
- Good article about Clifford's creation