|Single by Justin Bieber featuring Chance The Rapper|
|from the album Journals|
|Released||December 9, 2013|
|Writer(s)||Kenneth Coby, Justin Bieber, Maurice "Verse" Simmonds, Chancelor Bennett|
|Justin Bieber chronology|
"Confident" is a song by Canadian recording artist Justin Bieber featuring American recording artist Chance The Rapper, from Bieber's second compilation Journals (2013). Written by Bieber in addition to Kenneth Coby, Maurice "Verse" Simmonds, Chancelor Bennett and produced by Soundz, "Confident" was released as a single on December 9, 2013, by Island Records, as the tenth and last song from a ten-week digital download campaign entitled Music Mondays, in which one new song was released every Monday night, was held from October 7, 2013 to December 9, 2013.
"Confident" received positive feedback from music critics, who deemed it as a highlight from the album. Commercially it was a failure, debuting and peaking at number 41 and only staying on the chart for 1 week in the United States and while it reached the top forty in Canada, it only spent 2 weeks on the chart. Internationally, it peaked at numbers eight and one in Belgium and Denmark, respectively. The accompanying music video for "Confident" directed by Colin Tilley depicts the singer stalking his confident love interest until they share a kiss in its end. Chance The Rapper brought out Bieber at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival to perform "Confident" in 2014.
On October 3, 2013, Bieber announced that he would release one new song every Monday for ten weeks in a campaign entitled Music Mondays, leading up to the release of his Justin Bieber's Believe theatrical film, which will see a limited one-week release on Christmas Day 2013. The first song released by Bieber was "Heartbreaker", on October 7, 2013, while the last, "Confident" was released on December 9. The same day, Bieber announced that the ten Music Monday releases would be packaged with an additional five new songs in a compilation entitled Complete My Journals. Although the album was initially set for release on December 16, 2013, the date was pushed back one week to December 23, as Bieber intended to include one more song on the compilation. Though it does not appear on the album itself, the bonus track, "Flatline," is available for a free download on the iTunes Store. Journals would be available on iTunes until January 2, 2014, and all sixteen songs will be available for purchase individually thereafter.
"Confident" is a song composed by hip-hop and reggae elements which features American recording artist Chance The Rapper. Lyrically, it is different from his previous Music Mondays releases and focuses on a new love interest, as the other tracks mostly talked about lament on love. "Confident" is about chasing a girl who drips with confidence when she walks into a room, as opposed to being bummed about his previous relationship, with the singer singing "She's confident/Oh no no, oh no no/And I'm down with it" during its chorus. Later, Chance The Rapper raps about twerk education and playing the comedic counterpart to Bieber's straight-faced heartthrob. According to Ben Rayner from Toronto Star, the song was a "sexual momentum" on the album. For Pop Crush's Amy Sciarretto, "Confident" has an almost "boom chicka bow wow" porno movie-style beat but in an upbeat mood.
Jason Lipshutz from Billboard deemed "Confident" as the strongest track from Music Mondays. Glenn Gamboa from Newsday also complimented the track, saying it showed the singer moving into "hip-hop with a catchy, memorable groove and first-rate help from Chance the Rapper. It's a sign that Bieber will move through his current struggles into even greater success". Alex Griffin from website Mad Good Music shared a similar comment, stating the song "wouldn’t sound out of place on a Justin Timberlake album and has the pair discussing how they’re transfixed with the most confident girl in the room, with a typically hyper Chance verse, laden with his screeching adlibs".
An accompanying music video for the song was filmed on December 18, 2013, by director Colin Tilley. It was released on January 29, 2014. He had previously posted two photos from its shooting through Instagram in December. In the video, Bieber tries to seduce a young woman, played by Cailin Russo, in a gas station but he missteps with an ineffective pun-based pickup line. Although he definitely piques her interest, she says he has to “try harder than that” to get her. Bieber spends most of video following her around and singing and dancing about how into her he is. A group of dancers is also shown dancing with Bieber. During its end, the singer surprises his love interest with a sensual kiss; he then asks her, "Can I have your number now?" while she gives a positive response.
The video received positive reviews. Emily Longeretta from Hollywood Life commented, "We knew Justin was smooth, but he took things to a whole new level this time!" Spin's Chris Martins stated the video was fun. Writer Ton Breihan from Stereogum noted that it was paying homage to Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" music video (1987).
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||98|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||34|
|Belgium (Ultratop Flanders Urban)||8|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||34|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||39|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||100|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||83|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||67|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||33|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||24|
|US Billboard Hot 100||41|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||13|
- "Confident - Single". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Jason Lipshutz (October 28, 2013). "Justin Bieber Makes Full 'Recovery' On Music Mondays Track". Billboard. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Werde, Bill (December 9, 2013). "Justin Bieber's 'Journals' Collection to Drop In Time For Christmas (Exclusive)". Billboard. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "BIG NEWS!!! Wrote another smash this week! Want you to have it! Making it a Christmas gift and moving #journals to the 23rd! So....". Twitter. December 13, 2013. Retrieved December 23, 2013.
- Gamboa, Glenn (December 23, 2013). "Review: Justin Bieber, 'Journals'". Chicago Tribune. Tribune Company. Retrieved December 23, 2013.
- Rayner, Ben (December 24, 2013). "Justin Bieber's Journals aims for maturity: Album review". Toronto Star. Star Media Group. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "Review: Justin Bieber – Journals". Mad Good Music. December 24, 2013. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "Justin Bieber f/ Chance The Rapper "Confident" (Colin Tilley, dir.)". Video Static. December 17, 2013.
- "Justin Bieber Delays ‘Journals’". rap-up.com. December 13, 2013.
- Colin Stutz (April 13, 2014). "Coachella 2014: Justin Bieber Joins Chance the Rapper Onstage as Surprise Guest". Billboard. Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- "Austriancharts.at – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper – Confident" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Ultratop.be – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper – Confident" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Ultratop.be – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper – Confident" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Justin Bieber Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Justin Bieber. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Danishcharts.com – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper – Confident". Tracklisten. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Lescharts.com – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper – Confident" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Musicline.de – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Chart Track: Week 50, 2013". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper – Confident" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper – Confident" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Swisscharts.com – Justin Bieber feat. Chance The Rapper – Confident". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Archive Chart: 2013-12-21" UK Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2013-12-21" UK R&B Chart.
- "Justin Bieber Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Justin Bieber.
- "Justin Bieber Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Justin Bieber.