Conway School District (Arkansas)
|Conway School District|
|2220 Prince Street
Conway, Arkansas 72034
|Accreditation||Arkansas Department of Education|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||611.45 (on FTE basis)|
|Staff||1,162.45 (on FTE basis)|
|District mascot||Wampus Cat|
Conway School District (or Conway Public Schools) is a school district located in Conway, Arkansas, United States. Conway Public Schools serves the city of Conway, Arkansas, located in Faulkner County, Arkansas. With more than 9,200 students, Conway School District is the eighth largest in Arkansas. Starting August 20, 2012, the district will have 16 schools, including one high school, one junior high school, four middle schools, nine elementary schools and a preschool program.
Conway High School has experienced success in interscholastic sports and activities with conference and state titles. In 2010, the Wampus Cat football team took home the 7A conference championship. Also, winning the Arkansas State Championship in 2011 was baseball, wrestling and girls' soccer. Conway HS has a strong band program, with many students making all state band. In the 2011 War Memorial "Showcase of Bands" marching contest, the Wampus Cat Marching Band received the Brandon Award, the contest's highest award.
The Wampus Cat is a mythical creature that normally is portrayed as a cougar that can stand upright. This mascot is a variation of this with six arms. "Four to run at the speed of light and two to fight with all its might."
High School: (10th - 12th grade)
Junior High School: (8th & 9th grades)
- Conway Junior High School
Middle Schools: (5th - 7th grades)
- Bob and Betty Courtway Middle School
- Carl Stuart Middle School
- Raymond and Phyllis Simon Middle School
- Ruth Doyle Middle School
Elementary Schools: (Kindergarten - 4th grade)
- Carolyn Lewis Elementary School
- Ellen Smith Elementary School
- Florence Mattison Elementary School
- Ida Burns Elementary School
- Jim Stone Elementary School
- Julia Lee Moore Elementary School
- Marguerite Vann Elementary School
- Theodore Jones Elementary School
- Woodrow Cummins Elementary School
- Sallie Cone Pre-School Center
- Peyton Hillis - American Football running back for the New York Giants of the National Football League, 2008–present.
- Greg Lasker - American Football safety for the New York Giants, Chicago Bears, & Phoenix Cardinals of the National Football League, 1986–1988, member of the Giants Super Bowl XXI championship team.
- Marvin Delph - American basketball shooting guard for the Buffalo Braves of the NBA, 1978. Member of the famed "Triplets" at the University of Arkansas, along with Ron Brewer and Sidney Moncrief, who led the Razorbacks to the NCAA Final Four in 1978.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Westside CONS. School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "National Blue Ribbon School". Arkansas Department of Education. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "National Blue Ribbon School". Arkansas Department of Education. Retrieved 23 February 2014.