Council for Industry and Higher Education
|Successor||National Centre for Universities and Business|
The Council for Industry and Higher Education, known as CIHE, was a non-governmental organisation founded in 1986 in the United Kingdom, and from 1997, was a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
CIHE aimed to be "a strategic leadership network of businesses and higher education executives promoting a system of higher learning that led to greater market competitiveness and social well-being".
The CIHE was a strategic leadership network of blue-chip companies working with vice chancellors and universities to develop the UK’s knowledge-based economy. It was born from the inspired collaboration of James Prior, John Cassels and Pauline Perry. Perry (at that time the Chief Inspector of Schools at the Department for Education) had heard about an American organisation that had managed to bring businesses and universities closer together. Cassels (as Director General of the National Economic Development Office) was a staunch believer in the power of partnership while Prior was a recent Cabinet member and the new chairman of GEC. He agreed to invite the heads of a range of businesses, universities and polytechnics to a couple of initial discussions to see if there was indeed a common cause that might be addressed through a partnership approach.
In 2013, in response to the Wilson Review CIHE was replaced by the National Centre for Universities and Business (NCUB).
The Council was funded by its member organisations and by external organisations. The funding sources included universities, other organisations and companies. Each member organisation appointed one person to the Council, and seven of those people were Trustees.
- Richard Greenhalgh, CIHE Chair
- Sir Roger Bone, President, Boeing UK Ltd
- Dr Martin Read, Former Group Chief Executive, Logica CMG
- Professor Nigel Thrift, Vice Chancellor, University of Warwick
- Professor Eric Thomas, Vice-Chancellor, University of Bristol
- Professor Madeleine Atkins, formerVice-Chancellor, Coventry University
- Sir Richard Lambert, The Lambert Review
- "Companies House record for CIHE". Companies House. Retrieved 3 October 2006.
- "Extract from the Central Register of Charities". Charity Commission. Retrieved 3 October 2006.
- "About Us". CIHE. Archived from the original on 23 November 2010. Retrieved 1 November 2010.
- "Members". CIHE. Archived from the original on 16 January 2010. Retrieved 13 November 2009.
- "Funding Organisations". CIHE. Archived from the original on 23 November 2010. Retrieved 1 November 2010.
- "Trustees". CIHE. Archived from the original on 18 January 2010. Retrieved 13 November 2009.