Cuba Libre (song)
|Single by Gloria Estefan|
|from the album Gloria!|
|Released||November 9, 1998 (Europe)|
CD Maxi single
12" Vinyl Single
|Writer(s)||Gloria Estefan, Emilio Estefan, Jr.|
|Gloria Estefan singles chronology|
"Cuba Libre" is a dance-pop song included in Estefan's eighth studio album, gloria! (1998), in two versions: English and Spanish. It is one of the three only Spanish-language tracks on the album, alongside "Oye!" and "Corazón prohibido," and represents a homage to Estefan's homeland, Cuba. "Cuba Libre" was written and composed by Gloria Estefan, along with Emilio Estefan, Jr. and Kike Santander, and has a duration of four minutes and 45 seconds.
Larry Flick from Vibe applauded the song, as well as "Oye," by stating that both tracks "have a ferocious new energy and a vocal spark that Estefan hasn't previously displayed." Chuck Eddy from Entertainment Weekly named the song as "ominously undulating," adding that it "reach[es] for the skies like a missile-crisis fiesta thrown by Donna Summer."
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Cuba Libre".
Europe CD Maxi single (666691 2)
- "Cuba Libre" (Spanish Version)
- "Cuba Libre" (English Version)
- "Bailando Megamix"
|Spain Top 40 Singles Chart||3|
- Richie Unterberger, Samb Hicks, Jennifer Dempsey (1999). Music USA: The Rough Guide. Rough Guides. p. 146. ISBN 9781858284217. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Gloria! - Gloria Estefan". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Flick, Larry (July 1998). "Gloria Estefan "Gloria!"". Vibe 6 (5) (Vibe Media Group). p. 186. ISSN 1070-4701.
- Chuck, Eddy (5 June 1998). "Gloria! Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Lyrics with English translation
- Gloria Estefan discography database
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics